PDA

View Full Version : J9 heads up against a complete fish

Ruhr
06-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Haven't posted in a long time since I was mainly on Pokerroom and Converter still seems to be broke there /images/graemlins/frown.gif. But here's a Party hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

This hand gave me a little hope in a horrible minus 50BB downswing tonight. UTG is a complete fish with VPIP 80+.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Against Fishie, who has been calling with anything all night, I feel I have to bet on my backdoor flush. Maybe straight possibilities might form with a Ten on the turn.

Turn: (2.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Fishie gets aggressive. Now I'm a little scared. What could he possibly have? I thought about just calling his raise, but decided to be aggressive and 3-bet him. He caps me?? Could I have been wrong?

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

deepsquat
06-17-2005, 12:14 AM
whyd u bet the flop?
check/fold the flop

the river i sok. Prob looking at an ace/rag FH after the cap.

fluxrad
06-17-2005, 12:17 AM
The flop bet is fine since you might be able to buy the pot straight away. You can't bet a backdoor flush draw for value, though.

check/call the turn.

river is OK, though I probably just call the 3-bet.

Ruhr
06-17-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop bet is fine since you might be able to buy the pot straight away. You can't bet a backdoor flush draw for value, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

In retrospect, given that Villain was calling several hands all night with anything and just wanted to see rivers, the flop bet was a mistake. A bet to pick up the pot would work for anyone else. Silly me for overvaluing my backdoor flush.

[ QUOTE ]
check/call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really wanted to believe he didn't have an ace, this guy was playing ANYTHING. My eyeballs were seeing a flush at the end of the tunnel so I bet.

[ QUOTE ]
river is OK, though I probably just call the 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flush really arrived, I was so invested in this that I did what I did without thinking about the danger. Was too in love with my flush.

That helps. Thanks for putting that in perspective for me. I need to think more about my opponent and adjust my play, rather than think about the hand I'll make.

MrWookie47
06-17-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against Fishie, who has been calling with anything all night

[/ QUOTE ]

I think semi-bluffing with only backdoor draws is more porperly called "bluffing." Bluffing into a guy who calls with anything is -EV. Check/fold the flop.

deepsquat
06-17-2005, 12:45 AM
yes, against a fish the last thing i want to do is be betting this hand into an Ace high flop oop in a tiny pot. It has to be -EV.

We all know fish love playing aces. If fish checked to us in position its an easy bet as you will take the pot down most of the time on the flop.