PDA

View Full Version : Hideaway 4-8

Rube
01-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Very tight (which is unusual) six-handed 4-8 game at the Hideaway. A lot of hands getting chopped and few showdowns. I have a tight image at the table.

I get 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif UTG and raise. Button calls and BB calls.

Flop is 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif BB checks to me and I bet, both call

Turn is [2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ]Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif BB checks, I bet and only the button calls

River is [2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ]Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif I bet and button folds.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

hutz
01-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Even in a super-tight game, I can think of better hands to try a steal raise with UTG than 98s.

Ulysses
01-16-2003, 05:41 PM
In a tight game, raising 89s UTG seems like a bad move. Unless you steal the blinds (which even in a tough low-limit game is pretty unlikely from UTG), you can't like 1 or 2 callers here.

The flop and turn bet seem automatic.

I think you should have checked the river. Even in a tight game I'd be surprised to see a Queen lay down, so why not check and induce a bluff? I'd rely on the old standard here - what calls you that you can beat? what folds that can beat you? If you can't think of any answers to those questions, then I believe checking the river is the right move.

Ed Miller
01-16-2003, 06:35 PM
I think you should have checked the river. Even in a tight game I'd be surprised to see a Queen lay down, so why not check and induce a bluff? I'd rely on the old standard here - what calls you that you can beat? what folds that can beat you? If you can't think of any answers to those questions, then I believe checking the river is the right move.

I couldn't disagree with you more here, Ulysses. He's got second pair, and he now beats anyone who flopped a pair. He raised UTG, and someone who is suspicious that he is pushing AK will call with any pair here.

In a tight game, raising 89s UTG seems like a bad move.

I think raising UTG with 98s certainly should not be your standard play with that hand in that position... but there is certainly nothing patently wrong with it.

Rube
01-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Even in a super-tight game, I can think of better hands to try a steal raise with UTG than 98s.

So can I, I just didn't get dealt one this time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Like I said, the game was very tight and short handed. Pre-flop raises had been winning the blinds a fair amount and I had a tight image. Raisng with 89s isn't my default play.

Rube
01-16-2003, 07:44 PM
someone who is suspicious that he is pushing AK will call with any pair here

I agree, I thought that lower pairs could call and I probably would have heard from a Queen on the turn.

Also, if I check the river I have to show my hand. I'd rather bet and have the button fold so I can keep my tight image and continue to steal pots.

Ulysses
01-16-2003, 09:10 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more here, Ulysses. He's got second pair, and he now beats anyone who flopped a pair. He raised UTG, and someone who is suspicious that he is pushing AK will call with any pair here.

Well, what's the button calling two cold and flopping a pair with in a very tight game? Stuff like A6s, A3d, I guess. Maybe small/medium pocket pairs? Given the description of the game, I couldn't think of much in that range that button might have. I thought he was very likely good at the end, just not sure that he should bet.

I think the better reason to bet here is what the poster mentioned - not having to show down the hand and being able to steal a few more pots.

Ed Miller
01-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Given the description of the game, I couldn't think of much in that range that button might have.

There's always at least one loose player in any tight game as well... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif