PDA

View Full Version : Average Number Of Words In Your Vocabulary

James Boston
06-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I've read that the average person has a 20,000 word vocabulary, and uses 2,000 on a regular basis. Does this sound about right? How many would you say an above-average person (typical 2+2er???) has?

Alobar
06-16-2005, 09:40 PM
stick it in her pooper = 5 words.

The average OOTer has a 5 word vocabulary /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your reading vocabulary is the largest, then next is your writting vocabulary, then is your speaking vocabulary. I can remember that much from my english class, but I cant remember what the numbers were /images/graemlins/frown.gif

James Boston
06-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I would think speaking comes ahead of writing, simply because people often chose to omit words they're vaguely familiar with from formal writing, while they will casually mis-use them in conversation.

ZeeJustin
06-16-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think speaking comes ahead of writing, simply because people often chose to omit words they're vaguely familiar with from formal writing, while they will casually mis-use them in conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hogwash.

The Armchair
06-16-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your reading vocabulary is the largest, then next is your writting vocabulary, then is your speaking vocabulary.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

Alobar
06-16-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your reading vocabulary is the largest, then next is your writting vocabulary, then is your speaking vocabulary.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I never said you had to spell the word correctly in order to use it.

Blarg
06-16-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stick it in her pooper = 5 words.

The average OOTer has a 5 word vocabulary /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your reading vocabulary is the largest, then next is your writting vocabulary, then is your speaking vocabulary. I can remember that much from my english class, but I cant remember what the numbers were /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL you beat me to it. As soon as I saw the title, I counted out the five words of "Stick it in her pooper", but you stole my thunder!

stankybank
06-16-2005, 11:13 PM
1!

Pooper!