PDA

View Full Version : Playing for your friends

J_V
06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
You know those times when you are bored and have an hour or so to kill but don't want to play high limits for whatever reason? I'm in that spot all the time. Usually I just end up not playing eventhough want to, I just don't want to get stuck a couple thousand real quick and have to chew on it all day. Not trying to sound cocky, but jumping in a 5-10 wouldn't change my day much either way. By the end of the day, I'd probably forget I'd even played.

From now on I think I'm gonna play my poorer friends accounts when I don't want to gamble in higher stakes, since winning a hundred or two would make their week. It's tough to reconcile this since its essentially giving them money, which I wouldn't normally do. It certainly seems very utilitarian. But then, so is going to Uganda and sprinkling hundred dollar bills around town.

I'm interested in where my plans might go awry.

Evan
06-16-2005, 09:14 PM
How would you/your friends feel if you lost $1k on thier account?

Sponger15SB
06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
So, uh what happens when you lose all their money?

J_V
06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
They would understand that I would eventually win it back.

sthief09
06-16-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They would understand that I would eventually win it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

would you feel pressured to keep playing, or play the next day, until you made it back? it's nto worth it if you're inconveniencing yourself

Sponger15SB
06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Why don't you just give me $1,000 and we will call it a day?

soah
06-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Why don't you just play lower stakes on your own account?

J_V
06-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Not really. I might want to win the money back. But it would never take long. And I've done it before and never been inconvenienced. I only consider that a small problem and if I explain the situation up front, they all would agree.

J_V
06-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Because I would probably play worse and also be bored (much more entertaining to play someone else's money especially if you know you will make important money for them).

J_V
06-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Other friends being annoyed I'm making other friends money and not them.

Friends asking me to play for them or to play more for them. I've done this before and I've felt obligated to play when I didn't want to.

Making lots of money and then feeling stupid that I didn't make it for myself. Obviously, the money would add up.

Has anyone else ever done something like this? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

brick
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
friends don't let friends play for friends

Aeioux
06-16-2005, 09:35 PM
This whole concept seems ridiculous but hey thats me. Instead of playing when you don't want to, why don't you go ride a bike or something???

VBM
06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
06-16-2005, 09:49 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmbt0ne
06-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Please PM for Party login information.

SA125
06-16-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm hoping you had a few too many or were over served when posting this, because I thought you were much cooler than this BS.

J_V
06-17-2005, 12:45 AM
What's uncool about playing for a friend or relative? I pay for my twin sister's rent, is that not cool? If she had a poker account, I'd play on it for her a lot. She could use the money more than me right now. Maybe one day the situations will be reversed. I'd expect nothing less from her. However, I think the issue is much different when you extend it outside of family. I have also played on other poker friends account when they have been running bad as my friends have for me. It's certainly nice for someone else to log a win for you during a downswing, when you can't do it yourself. I don't feel there is anything wrong with that.

J_V
06-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Maybe you guys are too young, but I've been asked no less than 25 times to play poker for someone. They were disproportionately girls, suprise, suprise.

Ulysses
06-17-2005, 12:51 AM
You know those times when you are bored and have an hour or so to kill

Read books.

J_V
06-17-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't feel this is very different that the gonores thread where he felt strange about offering to pick up the check every time- and almost saw it as an obligation.

My live-in girlfriend makes 30k a year pre-tax. I made 30k last week. What am I supposed to do when she buys lip gloss and tampons and I buy chapstick and the cashier looks at me and says, "All together?" Right or wrong I've always payed for it - nevermind that her stuff costs 30 dollars and my stuff cost 99 cents.

J_V
06-17-2005, 12:55 AM
I haven't read a fiction novel in years. Give me a good non fiction title related to real estate, trading, poker, or something in or around that genre and I'll read it.

Sponger15SB
06-17-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you guys are too young, but I've been asked no less than 25 times to play poker for someone. They were disproportionately girls, suprise, suprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this what you are referring to, but I've heard no less than 25x "hey can I give you some money and you can play with it" by 25 different broke idiotic college students. This stuff just doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess its a lot different when you are making $30,000 in a week and not making another $30,000 wouldn't drastically change your current financial situation.

edge
06-17-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm not going to play for friends or family or do those ridiculous "hey can you take my $200 and turn it into more" offers. It will just lead to problems. However, now that I'm making what is a huge amount of money for a 19-year old second-year university student, I'm much more likely to cover the bill for expenses and buy expensive gifts for people. I don't want to become a pushover, but I'd feel guilty if I didn't share my good fortune.

Nigel
06-17-2005, 03:39 AM
JV,

I've entertained similar ideas myself and I know exactly what you mean by not feeling in the mood to play your usual limits, although I don't play past 30/60 yet, I can imagine it is even more stressful at the limits you are playing.

Would you be playing for people that actually play poker themselves, or in any of these cases would you just be playing poker on an account in someone's name and letting them keep the money?

I've been thinking about doing the latter recently, but I've been putting in a ton of hours of my own. It's kind of an interesting idea, because it is almost like just handing them money, but yet it's not, and you get some "free" entertainment.

Nigel

bicyclekick
06-17-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't feel this is very different that the gonores thread where he felt strange about offering to pick up the check every time- and almost saw it as an obligation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link to this thread?

PokerMike
06-17-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this situation is pretty similar to that one. I buy my friends concert tickets, always shout drinks, dinner etc.. and i'm fine with it. I think it depends on you, if you feel ok doing it and handling the little problems associated then go for it. For me the idea of helping out a friend for very little effort that means a lot(at least more to them than me) outweighs any problems associated.

climber
06-17-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link to this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=psych&Number=1582053&Forum =f12&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=100&Main=1582053&Se arch=true&where=bodysub&Name=4664&daterange=1&newe rval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post1582053)