PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play NL/PL Stud?

iceman5
06-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I played some PL Stud at Prima today and did rather well. Not because Im great, but because the other guys are horrible. I didnt even know the game existed.

There are no antes so I dont see why you would even enter the pot w/o a pretty damned good starting hand.

Anyone who has played this have any quick pointers? Im not even sure how much to bet, but Ive been betting close to the pot with any high pair trying to chase out straight and flush drawers.

frappeboy
06-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I've had some crazy home games playing pot limit stud, but have never played online. I usually tried to keep the pot size as small as possible unless I had a monster hand... Against bad players the best advice is not to push small edges.

10-20Jerome
06-17-2005, 10:35 AM
ive never seen a pot limit stud, the way stud is set up i just dont see how pot or no-limit would make a good stud game? Just my opinon.

dandy_don
06-17-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the way stud is set up i just dont see how pot or no-limit would make a good stud game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried it a The Gaming Club and you're correct, it's not the game limit is. However, it is full of players willing to drop some cash, because as stated before it was a no ante game and all you had to do is be patient--something many NL and PL players apparently don't do well.

Biloxi
06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
I was also thinking of trying the PL at Prima. The tables always have 50%+ seeing 4th. One table has 78% right now.
Probably need a good size stack to go in there though. And bad beats must happen often.

iceman5
06-17-2005, 07:17 PM
From what Ive seen so far, nobody has a clue what theyre doing. They play mostly just like a limit game by betting .50 every round (.25/.50 blinds) until they can decide if they like their hand or not.

Guys with a high pair showing will check, apparently because they dont want you to fold, and they will let you get a card or 2 for free so you can catch a flush or str8.

I made a large pot sized river bet with 4 spades showing and got called by 2 pair.

The pots dont get very big because everyone is afraid to bet much, but a paitient player can easily beat this game.

Im not sure about the bigger games but I watched for a few mins and saw pretty much the same thing except that the bigger games do have an ante. It was .25 in the $1/$2 PL game.

mosta
06-18-2005, 11:32 PM
maybe everyone already knows this but: they discuss PL stud in Pot Limit and No Limit Poker, Reuben & Ciaffone. apparently it is or was spread live, big money, in London.

BlueBear
06-19-2005, 11:53 AM
The games are filled with terrible, very loose and very passive players. Unfortunately, the pots are usually too small for my liking compared to other games. Though, just playing tightly and aggressively is enough to beat these games.