PDA

View Full Version : Did I played this right?

Tiltdoctor
06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi all.
This is my first post here. Just want to know this.
This was a tournament and the blinds were pretty high now at this level.
Anyway, I had 7,7
I raised in late position, everybody folded (10 player table)
but the one to my left called me.
The flop: 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif
I checked.
He bet.
I called him.
The turn was the 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
I checked once more
He raised so that I was going all in if I did call him...which I did. And then the river card came. It was the 6/images/graemlins/club.gif giving me two pairs 7 over sixes. But he showed a Jack and an 8.
and that was it, I was out of the tournament.
When did it happened that I was drawing dead?
From the flop?
I counted the nines and the sevens to beat him but did I count wrong? PLease feel free to coment.

bholdr
06-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Okay... welcome to 2+2 and the beginner's forum.

First, It's important to include some info in your posts when asking questions about a specific situation. You'll get better answers if you describe:

The Buy in for the tourney
is it no-limit or limit
stack sizes
bet sizes (if it's NL)
pot size, etc.

in this case, the answer is pretty simple, though- 77 is just not that good of a hand in this particular situation, and you should have folded to a bet on the flop. the outs you list -9s to a straight, are not safe outs, as someone could easily have a higher straight.

Tiltdoctor
06-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi.
Thanks for the reply.
yeah it was a no limit game and I had $500 and the blinds were 20/40 so I was a little short.

Thanks again.

Onaflag
06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
I would not raise with 77. You say everyone folded, but that's a bit confusing. Were there limpers in front of you who then folded to your raise? Or did everyone fold to you and only the person on your left called your raise?

That's very important. If there were limpers in front of you, you also want to limp in hopes of catching a set on the flop. You didn't and the texture of the flop says, "Abort Mission!"

If it was folded around to you and you were attemtping to steal the blinds by raising and got called by one person, then that's different. Is he in a blind? Who will act first? Based on your description, you were first to act. He had position on you.

Bottom line? You're out of position with a bad flop staring at you. Your only chance to win that pot is to fire at it first in hopes that it didn't hit him either. Since you checked and he bet, it is a clear fold. Calling was very incorrect.

Welcome to the boards!

Onaflag..........

Tiltdoctor
06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the answers it sure helps.
yeah 8players folded but the one to my left.
You know I heard this little voice in my head all the time but I just didnt listen.
Well now I know what not to do the next time.
Thanks.