PDA

View Full Version : Computer Tech Support Forum??

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a good, free forum on the web to get tech support? Or a 1-800 number I can call? Microsoft charges for their tech support.

Specifically I have a windows problem. I've already asked it here on OOT, to no avail.

Thanks.

belloc
06-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Try Google groups first (http://groups.google.com) .

#1: You're very likely not the first person to have the problem you're having.

#2: There are a lot of computer users in the world, and many of them use the internet to talk about their computer problems.

Conclusion: You can very often find someone else's solution to your exact problem by searching USENET (via Google groups).

I know that's probably not the answer you wanted, but give it a try; you'll be surprised what you can find.

stabn
06-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Next time try bumping your thread so i see it.

stabn
06-16-2005, 07:35 PM
So after using the search function i have one question:

[ QUOTE ]

Many of my important files were saved to the desktop, which is saved in the documents and settings folder. Since these files are in my user's folder in documents and settings, they are password locked as well. And since I can't log into that user (since the old windows is corrupted), I cannot retrieve the files.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you use the windows "Encrypt contents to secure data" option on these?

If not, this is easy. If so, you are screwed.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So after using the search function i have one question:

[ QUOTE ]

Many of my important files were saved to the desktop, which is saved in the documents and settings folder. Since these files are in my user's folder in documents and settings, they are password locked as well. And since I can't log into that user (since the old windows is corrupted), I cannot retrieve the files.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you use the windows "Encrypt contents to secure data" option on these?

If not, this is easy. If so, you are screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to stay on top of your threads with a question like this...That's probably why you didn't get an answer the first time.

In any case, since you aren't answering i will assume the answer is no and quote something from the web since i am too lazy to type it up myself:

[ QUOTE ]

phantom06-04-2005, 09:19 AM
To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

1.Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.4.In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.5.Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message: You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.6.Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

How to take ownership of a file

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1.Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.4.In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.5.Click Add.6.In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.7.Click OK.8.In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
Phantom

[/ QUOTE ]

Try taking ownership of your old doc & settings folder as explained in that quote and then try copying the files. If that fails hit the Security | advanced | effective permissions tab and see what the access is for your user. Also hit the Permissions tab and delete any deny ACE that would stop you from being able to access the files, and edit your currently logged in user and give yourself full control. Remember to use 'Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects' when you hit ok. Try copying again. At this point it should definitely work, if not, tell me what you have done and everything you see in the Permissions and Effective Permissions dialogue boxes.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the response, I'm going to try your advice right now.

FWIW, I didn't bump the old thread because I never got a useful answer the first time around. I just figured no one here knew. And I didn't respond earlier because I was eating.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1.Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no security tab.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response, I'm going to try your advice right now.

FWIW, I didn't bump the old thread because I never got a useful answer the first time around. I just figured no one here knew. And I didn't respond earlier because I was eating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posts in OOT leave the front page quickly.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1.Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no security tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are running home edition? Try from safe mode.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 99% sure that I have professional. And how would I re-boot into safe mode anyway?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience. I'm (obviously) not exactly a computer wiz.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 99% sure that I have professional. And how would I re-boot into safe mode anyway?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience. I'm (obviously) not exactly a computer wiz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try winver to see what version you have.

Open explorer, right click c: and hit properties, look for security tab. It will be there 100% if you have pro. If winver says you have pro and it doesn't show up when you do the above let me know what version of XP winver says you have.

To get into safe mode, which should, IIRC, let you use the security tab even in home edition reboot your computer and before it starts loading windows hit F8 repeatedly. It should bring up a menu where you can select and boot to safe mode. If you do not get the menu reboot and try again, this time pressing F8 faster.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Still no security tab.

XP Professional Version 5.1

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still no security tab.

XP Professional Version 5.1

[/ QUOTE ]

Try safe mode, also let me know what tabs you have besides security like i asked for above.

BradleyT
06-16-2005, 08:52 PM
you must open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a trick to getting security tab to show up. I'll google it real quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah i'm not on windows XP right now. In explorerer there's Tools | options | i think it's the last option, i forget what it's called.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah i'm not on windows XP right now. In explorerer there's Tools | options | i think it's the last option, i forget what it's called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe disable simple file sharing?

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:55 PM
While bradley goes for the other answer try this:

Start | run | cmd.exe and hit enter
d: (replace if the drive you need these files from is different)
cd \Documents and Settings
cacls YourOldUserName /E /G administrator:F
Where YourOldUserName = whatever the user account the files you want are under. and where administrator = the account you are currently logged in as.

This doesn't take ownership but does give your user full control to the directory and all sub directories if it can.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you must open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't work.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe disable simple file sharing?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW this is the answer. Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | view find "Use simple file sharing (reccomended) and uncheck the box.

stabn
06-16-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hit ok then go back to the properties explorer | c: | properties tab and look for the security tab again? Anyway, try my cacls thing above if that doesn't work.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you hit ok then go back to the properties explorer | c: | properties tab and look for the security tab again? Anyway, try my cacls thing above if that doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm now in the security tab.

I tried the cacls thing. It gave me access to the Jeff folder (my old username) within Documents and Settings, but it did not give me access to the desktop folder within the Jeff folder.

I used the command prompt to change to the Jeff folder and tried to run the cacls thing again, but to no avail.

Anyways, I'm going to try to go the route of the security tab.

PokerFink
06-16-2005, 09:10 PM
It worked!

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

stabn
06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It worked!

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

NP. Next time bump your thread before giving up on OOT /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

shadow29
06-16-2005, 09:25 PM
For future reference I've found that these guys are pretty good:

techsupportforums.com

No affiliation, etc, etc.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
http://www.experts-exchange.com/