PDA

View Full Version : nexgens.. closest to cheap paulson's?

lighterjobs
06-16-2005, 06:34 PM
i'm sure this has been posted before, but are nexgens the best feeling chips? the stacks aren't flimsy like some of the cheaper clay composite chips at walmart are they? sorry for the noob question.

tomb1
06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Nexgens look great with edge spots (if you pick some good colors). I think they sound good, and they cretainly are great for custom labels -- a real good value for the price.

But you asked about feel.

Well then, it depends what you mean by feel.

- If you are gripping thme in your fingers, I think they feel pretty darn good. Even though they are hard plastic, the texture and the "mold" kinda grip your fingers.

- But if you are talking about how they grip each other and stack, then they're still plastic chips and are pretty hard and slick.

I'd say they feel pretty good, but I wouldn't say they are like cheaper Paulsons at all.

lighterjobs
06-16-2005, 06:49 PM
thanks for input. i just really like the way they look, but was worried about the way they felt. i know they were priced really high for a while, but went down a little, so i was looking to get some. can you stack them in stacks of twenty without them falling over easily?

JoshuaMayes
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Th faux-clay dice chips at fiverstardeal.com are always getting rave reviews about how they feel just like clay. The downside is that they don't have edgespots.

Richter
06-16-2005, 09:56 PM
It never crossed my mind how they stack because they stack/shuffle fine.

smoore
06-16-2005, 11:16 PM
they stack "OK"... the cheaper faux clay chips stack and handle better but are pretty damn boring looking. I'd say just order 20-30 of them from 5star and see what ya think.

KenProspero
06-17-2005, 10:16 AM
The Soprano Chips are also getting a good write up (also on 5 star)

If you want to go really cheap, check out the 8 gram version which is being closed out for about a nickel a chip.

tomb1
06-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Yeah, they stack OK. A stack of 20 will stay up in front of you. They'll slide a little more than some chips, but they're not real slippery "runners"

If you're going to get custom labels, that's where nexgens are the best.

But if feel is most important, the Sopranos are a good option (the 8.5g on sale, but especially the 10g). They feel good and stick & stack better than any cheaper chip IMO. And they look pretty good with edge stripes (but not traditional edge spots like the nexgens). Their softer surface shows a few scuffs, vs. the hard plastic chips that are virtually bomb-proof.

The faux clays or super diamonds are a great bargain and feel as good as the nexgens, but their looks are boring.

But some samples - maybe 20 of each that you're considering. This will let you make up your mind. They're super cheap.

willthethrill
06-18-2005, 11:13 AM
my friend has got a set of nexgens. their quality for non clay chips but nothing near to paulsons.

Rosencrantz1
06-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I ordered samples of nexgens and faux clay and went with the faux clay. They sound/feel great and I got a set of 500, with case, cards, etc. for $55 from 5star.

The nexgens are nicer looking but, while they are an improvement over your run-of-the-mill 11.5g chips, I think they still sound a little coin-like. Plus, they are on the heavy side.

If looks are your most important decision, then nexgens with labels really do look nice for the price. If price, feel or sound are more important to you, then I can't recommend the faux clay highly enough.

Final thought: the faux clay are so cheap that, if you decide to upgrade later on, you won't feel bad about abandoning them.