PDA

View Full Version : Hit Me Baby One More Time

Dominic
06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
okay, forgetting the fact that the host of this show is the Biggest Tool on TV, I'm hooked.

Watching bands like Loverboy, The Knack, Tommy Tutone, Arrested Development, Martha Davis, and yes, even Vanilla Ice - makes me realize that the acts had/have CHOPS. They can play.

Really, there isn't much distance between "My Sharona" and Jett's, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl," or "Jenny/867-5309" and Blink 182s "All the Small Things," and The Knack and Tommy Tutone proved it.

Hell, even Vanilla Ice brought the house down. He did "Ice, Ice Baby," and then a rap version of Destiny's Child's "Survivor" - that takes balls. And it worked.

As much as we make fun of some of these one hit wonders or older bands, sometimes we forget that there was a very good reason why most of these songs/acts were big hits - they were damn good.

I loved The Knack, Loverboy, and A Flock of Seagulls when I was younger, among many other acts that are not "cool" now. But I still think they kick ass - I mean, does anyone else realize what a great song AFOS' "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) is??

I'd love to see someone like Frankie Goes to Hollywood or Berlin on this show....who do you guys wanna see?

Shajen
06-16-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't know, but all the music threads (not a bad thing, mind you) got me thinking:

Are there enough music threads to warrant their own forum?

Maybe White Snake singing a Back Street boys song?

offTopic
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
I hate that they come out and lipsync, but I guess the logistics of the format require it. Hopefully they at least really played/recorded in that building with no audience.

I don't think Flock of Seagulls or Berlin is 1-hit-wondery enough to come on the show, but that's just my opinion. In that same vein, though, I'd like to see Men At Work or ABC, just to see how old everyone is.

In the true 1-hit wonder category, I want to see Kim Wilde or Modern English (how bad is it when you have to remake your own hit?)

IndieMatty
06-16-2005, 06:42 PM
there is I guess. but then what does oot turn into. I'm actually now against removing sports.

Shajen
06-16-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is I guess. but then what does oot turn into. I'm actually now against removing sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it just seems there's a lot of music threads...I dunno, guess you are right.

Soul Daddy
06-16-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree with you too often. Say something wrong.

Slacker13
06-16-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate that they come out and lipsync,

[/ QUOTE ]
Who says they lip sync. No way are they lip syncing.

offTopic
06-16-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate that they come out and lipsync,

[/ QUOTE ]
Who says they lip sync. No way are they lip syncing.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Tommy Tutone was playing "Jenny", the drummer's actions did not match the music that was being played.

...or was this a line from a movie or something that I'm not understanding? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dominic
06-16-2005, 10:28 PM
According to the rules of the show, they are not lip syching. However, they are allowed to have other tracks playing to "supplement" their live performance.

offTopic
06-16-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
According to the rules of the show, they are not lip syching. However, they are allowed to have other tracks playing to "supplement" their live performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so they're karaoke'ing. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif That would explain the "phantom drumming".

HopeydaFish
06-16-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the problem with removing different topics is that you give more ammunition to the forum nazis to shout "This belongs in Sports/Religion/whatever" whenever someone posts something in OOT that belong somewhere else. Eventually nothing will be permitted in OOT.

tbach24
06-16-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the problem with removing different topics is that you give more ammunition to the forum nazis to shout "This belongs in Sports/Religion/whatever" whenever someone posts something in OOT that belong somewhere else. Eventually nothing will be permitted in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There's a huge problem with that in my fantasy baseball forum (basically there's one forum that everyone goes to (kinda like OOT) and some subheadings that are deserted).