PDA

View Full Version : Ray, good spot to camp in Glacier?

10-03-2001, 12:10 AM
My daughter and her friend are going to Glacier this weekend. Asked me to recommend a good camping site. I suggested Lake McDonald but I,m not real familiar with Glacier. Any suggestions, camping, day hiking and some biking? Thanks.

10-03-2001, 01:35 AM
the camp ground at apgar(lake mcdonald) is a good place no showersw though. they can hike and bike around there, but in glacier you can only bike on the roads. up the road about two miles is a great campground on the camas road, but i dont know if its closed yet. its by rocky point. she can ask when she gets there as the guard station is still open. the pass closes in two weeks.

the best easy hike is trail of the cedars then go to avalanche lake. three miles easy up hill and beautiful. she can also go to the top of the pass and hike to hidden lake overlook or down to the lake . another fantastic hike and only 3 miles.she will she lots of mountain goats very close up and maybe a griz on the hillsides. no worry. on a nice warm no wind day she may even see ray zee fly fishing for the big yellowstone cutts in the lake that take dries readily. many more longer hikes if she is interested tell me. but most of the good ones are on the east side of the park, which is more open and has better views. she might like it better there but most facilities are closed now. but you can camp at many glacier and two medicine. bothe have views to die for and the best hiking although longer and tougher hikes. spuce park cafe about 8 miles back would be the best place to eat this time of the year. the highland at the turnoff to the park is still open but average chow.

anything else?

10-03-2001, 05:09 PM
I always liked Kintla and Bowman lakes. Only problem is a long drive to get there.

10-03-2001, 10:53 PM
its all smokey up there with the big 70,000 acre moose fire near those lakes. from the camas road andway up the north fork road and the inside the park north fork road its all burned out.

10-04-2001, 01:50 AM
On tuesday when I left Wolf Ck. it was real smokey until I got to the other side of Lincoln.

My daughter has hiked both trails you suggested and enjoyed them. May do it again since they have only two days.

Wife and kids hope to explore east side next year.

Who knows I may even hike into Hidden Lake next yr with the fly rod. I have gotten real lazy in old age.