PDA

View Full Version : bad run or something i have to work on? stats included

cdxx
06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
don't know what to blame the horrendous results on, a bad run or some horrible leak exposed at 1/2 (*shudder*).

aggression factor is rought equal. attempts to steal i could cut back on, but still... basically, i haven't changed my game but my bank got pounded. what can you tell me about 1/2 that's not true at .5/1???

any ideas? stats image (http://photos16.flickr.com/19764078_10d1a743ce.jpg?v=0)
http://photos16.flickr.com/19764078_10d1a743ce.jpg?v=0

Jakesta
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Is this a joke?

Your VP$IP is at least 7 points too high for 1/2 full, unless these are 6max stats.

cdxx
06-16-2005, 05:58 PM
but how is it different from .5/1? why does 27 vpip work down there?

i am perfectly willing to play tighter, i just need some reasoning

Jakesta
06-16-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but how is it different from .5/1? why does 27 vpip work down there?

i am perfectly willing to play tighter, i just need some reasoning

[/ QUOTE ]

27 VP$IP doesn't work at .5/1 either. That's still at least 5 points too high. It looks like you had a great bit of luck at .5/1. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

cdxx
06-16-2005, 06:02 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif i hope so.

btw, the poker tracker guide's autorate rules suggest that vpip < 24 is tight or good, 24-28 is neutral, and they say being solid is alot more important than being tight, as long as you are not > 28. any truth to that on microlimits?

Jakesta
06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
You are playing some shitty hands if you have a 27 VP$IP over 10,000 hands. It is just that simple. Your VP$IP at upper limmits should be below 20, but at .5/1 it can be as high 22, assuming that you play excellently postflop. But a 26 VP$IP at 1/2 is insane.

PokerMatt
06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
10k hands isn't really a significant sample size. You got a little bit lucky if you're VPIP is 27%. A friend of mine, who I'm trying to convert back from the "dark side," has a $VPIP of 40% but he still is at 2.26 BB/100 (only 2500 hands but it still shows that you can have short-term luck even if you're that loose). He stubbornly refuses to listen (says you "can't just follow what some book says"), saying his win rate justifies his play. After all, results are the only thing that really matters!

Anyway, enough of that rant... don't want to get too off-topic. Basically, 27% is too high; you should shoot for at least 7% lower. I generally follow the tight charts from SSHE with a few extra hands added in depending on the game and I'm at 17.45%. I'm not saying to do exactly what I do, but you should play less hands overall.

grjr
06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

27 VP$IP doesn't work at .5/1 either.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jakesta
06-16-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

27 VP$IP doesn't work at .5/1 either.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it's too loose to make profit at .5/1 over the long run, and I doubt that our friend here plays that well postflop if he doesn't see why having a 26 VP$IP at Party 1/2 is a bad idea.

aK13
06-16-2005, 06:23 PM
27% VPIP with 11 PFR, winning 55% of your showdowns and scoring 4BB/100, you're just on a good run at .5/1

The -15BB/100 is probably the downswing that was bound to occur from your good run.

You should be in the range of 18-22 VPIP, and 9 PFR at both of these limits. Make a VERY detailed list/chart of your starting hands based on position and limpers and post it here so we can see where you need to tighten up.

aces_dad
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
First off you only have 500 hands of 1/2 which is a pretty small sample. However, regarding why you're running worse
at 1/2 with same VP$IP as before, I can think of several reasons why it's more costly at the higher limits.

1. Playing speculative hands out of position like small PP's and low suited connectors are more likely to get the additional limpers needed to be profitable. As the game gets tighter these mistakes become more costly.

2. Relative hand value is reduced. Similar to the first one, your questionable hands become unprofitable when your
opponents tighten up and play better hands.

3. More aggressive opponents. Those that isolate you and
make you pay more than one bet on these weak holdings are
now making you pay more to play these cards.

I agree that 27 is too high, for both limits in question.

cdxx
06-16-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... I doubt that our friend here plays that well postflop if he doesn't see why having a 26 VP$IP at Party 1/2 is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

my play is not good, by any means. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'll try to play tighter for at least 1000 hands or so at 1/2. my question was really what it is i need to adjust, since i thought my stats didn't differ that much but the results did. of course, 1/2 probably has more tighter players.

thanks

Jakesta
06-16-2005, 06:31 PM
You need to stop playing speculatuve hands out of position. No more limping T9s from EP, etc.

PokerMatt
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
What's your aggression factor? (Not counting preflop aggression). You should be in the 2-3 range, give or take. If that number is way off your postflop play may also be part of the problem.

Jaran
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
You need to tighten up at 1/2.

-Jaran

cdxx
06-16-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your aggression factor? (Not counting preflop aggression). You should be in the 2-3 range, give or take. If that number is way off your postflop play may also be part of the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, slowly increasing. aggregate over all the hands, it's 1.5. but over the last 2k hands it's closing on 2.0

aK13
06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... I doubt that our friend here plays that well postflop if he doesn't see why having a 26 VP$IP at Party 1/2 is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

my play is not good, by any means. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'll try to play tighter for at least 1000 hands or so at 1/2. my question was really what it is i need to adjust, since i thought my stats didn't differ that much but the results did. of course, 1/2 probably has more tighter players.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands isn't that much, to be honest.

Tightening up by 6-8% is A LOT -- I honestly don't this is something that you can just say you will "tighten up" and fix it (for example, I play at 18%, when I tried to loosen up at .5/1, I ran about 19.5%). I'm very convinced that your preflop play is a pretty significant leak in your game.

jrz1972
06-16-2005, 06:57 PM
1. A VPIP of 27% is too damn high. You're not just playing a few marginal hands here and there; you're playing garbage. There are some players who can get by with VPIPs over 20%, and a few who can push the envelope out to 23% or so, but if you are able to consistenly win with a VPIP of 27% you should be teaching others, not asking if you're just running bad or not. 27% is too high for .5/1, and it's way too high for 1/2. By way of comparison, you are playing about half again as many hands as I am.

2. Yes, it looks like you've been running pretty bad at 1/2. It's a small sample, but your W$SD is very poor, which is often a sign that you've been getting outflopped/outdrawn unusually often.

3. Nice avatar.

SteveL91
06-16-2005, 08:06 PM
I think his VP$IP is inflated because of his attempts to steal blinds. Granted, 27 may be too high even given the attempts to steal blinds, but I don't know either way. I'm no Poker Tracker expert, but it looks like you're running pretty damn badly. You might want to post your positional stats; I think those will say more with regards to how loose you are.

Edit: Looking over things a bit more, you probably are a bit loose. There's no reason to defend your SB as much as you are (unless you've been getting very good cards in the SB). You also might be completing the SB a little too liberally, but I'm not sure. Not to mention the fact that 500 hands doesn't mean much.