I felt it!

Woooo

Seemed worse than the one a few days ago

toss
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Me too. Anyone else?

Jingleheimer
06-16-2005, 05:00 PM
This was significantly stronger than the other one, I think, and longer too.

Harmless earthquakes are fun.

chaas4747
06-16-2005, 05:00 PM
You are all going to fall into the ocean. Glad I live in Kansas where the only thing I have to worry about his time of year is my house being relocated to another state by a Tornado.

Sponger15SB
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are all going to fall into the ocean.

[/ QUOTE ]

.... to go hang with hawaii.

....alaska can come too.

WEASEL45
06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
i felt it in LA and i guess it was just south of big bear

jason_t
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I felt it!

Woooo

Seemed worse than the one a few days ago

[/ QUOTE ]

It woke me up.

Brock Landers
06-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Me too. It seemed to last about a minute. I seriously considered going back to sleep DURING the quake. I think us Californians mught be getting a little TOO used to these things.

shant
06-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Meh, I'm in Hollywood and it was really small and pussy to me. Didn't even knock the bowling pin off of my TV, just shook it up.

andyfox
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Exceptionally sharp in downtown L.A.; lasted about 15 seconds.

belloc
06-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I didn't feel it in Ventura. They had to interrupt my US Open coverage to tell me about it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-16-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't feel it in Ventura. They had to interrupt my US Open coverage to tell me about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the car chase down PCH right there?

wacki
06-16-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are all going to fall into the ocean.

[/ QUOTE ]

.... to go hang with hawaii.

....alaska can come too.

[/ QUOTE ]

sponger = ok by my book

belloc
06-16-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see it. I was too busy watching the US Open.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-16-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] the damned US Open. I want my Around The Horn and PTI.

tbach24
06-16-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best 1 hour block of TV ever.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm about ready to buy some land right around Palm Springs. Beachfront, baby!

istewart
06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Clearly, Paige, Cowlishaw, and Smith were going to lose today. Mariotti would have pulled through spouting some [censored] about the Pistons being rejuvenated.

tbach24
06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, Paige, Cowlishaw, and Smith were going to lose today. Mariotti would have pulled through spouting some [censored] about the Pistons being rejuvenated.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Mariotti can't win on the road. Smith pwns all.

stabn
06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too. It seemed to last about a minute. I seriously considered going back to sleep DURING the quake. I think us Californians mught be getting a little TOO used to these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried doing this at 4am while at my grandparents house in palm springs when i was 12. My family kicked my [censored] ass for not giving a [censored] and wanting to sleep through it.

belloc
06-16-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I want to watch two middle-aged guys of different races scream unintelligably at each other for a half hour, I can go down to the local Tres Sierras market. That show is unwatchable.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-16-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That show is unwatchable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even when they bring back the trampoline bear?

ZeeJustin
06-16-2005, 06:12 PM
I felt it. I think they're kind of cool being an east coaster and all.

How much damage does something like this cause? I remember seeing the freeway after the '96 quake, but I assume nothign even close to that happened for this "small" quake. Can anyone quantify it for my?

shant
06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
The Northridge quake that was 7+ knocked down the walls in alleys for blocks, cracked open swimming pools and drained them, moved the foundations of homes, broke parking structures, cracked open streets and sidewalks, collapsed sides of buildings, shattered underground pipes, condemned entire apartment buildings, broke freeway overpasses in half, etc.

This quake didn't manage to knock a bowling pin off the top of my TV. Does that quantify at all?

ZeeJustin
06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Northridge quake that was 7+ knocked down the walls in alleys for blocks, cracked open swimming pools and drained them, moved the foundations of homes, broke parking structures, cracked open streets and sidewalks, collapsed sides of buildings, shattered underground pipes, condemned entire apartment buildings, broke freeway overpasses in half, etc.

This quake didn't manage to knock a bowling pin off the top of my TV. Does that quantify at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed more damage would be done wherever the fault line is. Do you know what this was in the richtor scale?

Sponger15SB
06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, who would win in Man vs. Beat III, the elephant or....

M2d
06-16-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad I live in Kansas where the only thing I have to worry about his time of year is my house being relocated to another state by a Tornado.

[/ QUOTE ]
and the fact that your brain and culture are going to mush because, well, you live in Kansas.

stabn
06-16-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed more damage would be done wherever the fault line is. Do you know what this was in the richtor scale?

[/ QUOTE ]

shant
06-16-2005, 06:22 PM
It was a 5.3 magnitude.

And yeah, the closer to the fault line, the more damage. The alleys, pools, and foundations I was speaking of were examples from the house and homes around my Aunt who lived in Northridge at the time. My house that was about 15 miles away had things fall and break and some cracking to the walls, but nothing like the buildings in Northridge.

WEASEL45
[ QUOTE ]
Do you know what this was in the richtor scale?

[/ QUOTE ]

belloc
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trampoline bear was hilarious. But pretty much anything to shut those two guys up improves the show.

Kornheiser or Wilbon by themselves are fine. TK's radio show is fantastic. But for some reason, I can't stand PTI.

belloc
06-16-2005, 06:24 PM
How close were you to the center of this one, shant?

shant
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea because the epicenter is listed as GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, and my address is Los Angeles. Anyone know specifically where it was at?

jason_t
06-16-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea because the epicenter is listed as GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, and my address is Los Angeles. Anyone know specifically where it was at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Magnitude 5.3 - local magnitude (ML)
Time Thursday, June 16, 2005 at 1:53:25 PM (PDT)
Thursday, June 16, 2005 at 20:53:25 (UTC)
Distance from
<ul type="square"> Yucaipa, CA - 5 km (3 miles) NE (51 degrees)
Mentone, CA - 10 km (6 miles) E (94 degrees)
Redlands, CA - 15 km (9 miles) E (89 degrees)
Moreno Valley, CA - 25 km (16 miles) NE (54 degrees)
Los Angeles Civic Center, CA - 114 km (71 miles) E (89 degrees)
[/list]
Coordinates 34 deg. 3.5 min. N (34.058N), 117 deg. 0.4 min. W (117.007W)
Depth 12.5 km (7.8 miles)

Location map (today's is the big blue square):
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/117-34.gif

Intensity map:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/intensity.jpg

shant
06-16-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Los Angeles Civic Center, CA - 114 km (71 miles) E (89 degrees)

[/ QUOTE ]
Then that would make me about 65-70 miles away from the epicenter.

ethan
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] link (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2005/ci14155260/)
Looks like it was about 80 miles E of me

theredwave
06-16-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly had my bookcase fall on me while I was sleeping during this earthquake. I think it was magnitude 7+ and it cracked a couple of our walls when we were living in Moorpark.

wonderwes
06-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Geez, I saw the news just reported a 6.6 earthquake again today. This time in Northern Cali. That's 4 in one week. Now that's a bad thing right?

I always felt in the future the fault line would break off California into the pacific ocean. Maybe that day is rapidly approaching.

Talk2BigSteve
06-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I clicked on the Map for recent quakes and it shows a 7+ happened in the ocean. Does something like that cause any inland damage?

Steve

Sponger15SB
06-17-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I clicked on the Map for recent quakes and it shows a 7+ happened in the ocean. Does something like that cause any inland damage?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://users.hol.gr/~quasar/images/Tsunami1.JPG

Talk2BigSteve
06-17-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

well, I just wondered because it was the largest and yet on the people who felt it, it was one of the least felt.

Steve

thatpfunk
06-17-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at PB Bar and Grill when they had the tsunami warnings the other night. It was weird, some people were freaking out and a bunch of dumb drunk guys kept shouting about surfing.

A friend works at Hotel Del Coronado and said people were seriously panicking. Guests were running out of their rooms screaming for people to leave, leaving behind everything, just running... Silly tourists /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It was scary for about 10 minutes thinking of my house being underwater /images/graemlins/frown.gif