PDA

View Full Version : AJs from the SB.

Yuv
06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
I'll be glad to here some advices on this hand.

Two table SNG, down to 7, paying 3.

MP2 is the big stack at the table with ~45BB. He has raised 3 times in the final table (didn't play with him in the first one), with QQ, A10s and 55. All were X3 the BB.

UTG is a pretty bad player. Limps ALOT with a huge range of hands.

Two short stacks are gonna be blinded off soon, so the blinds are going to hit me strong.

I got ~12BB, with AJs in the SB. UTG limps, MP2 raises to X3 BB. What's my play here?

therock
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
With 12 BB, I can fold and wait for a better shot. The big stack has plenty of chips to call your raise and I don't think AJ will win much more than 50% vs. his range of hands.

RicktheRuler
06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
I have just started my journey into tournament poker, so my advice may be off here. For me, you chip position is the determining factor here.

gildwulf
06-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Even with the 2 stacks blinded off you are going to need some chips to fight off your table bully when it gets to 5-way. If you think there's a good chance of hands like A10, KQ, KJ (judging by your read, this is a possibility) then I would push. This accomplishes a few important things:

1) You are saying "Stop pushing me around" which will be very +EV when you get down to 4-5 people
2) It would be a crucial double-up before the blinds make you push with any two.

In sum, I would say it's a toss up between pushing and folding here. I would go with pushing.

Z

Yuv
06-16-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have just started my journey into tournament poker, so my advice may be off here. For me, you chip position is the determining factor here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 5th out of 7. As I said, the shorter stacks are pretty much dead. The BB got 3BB left and he's a terrible weak-tight player who stands no chance. Button got 4-5 BB's and he doesn't seem like much of a player either. They both pretty much folded their way here.

4th got ~18BB, 3rd ~25 (UTG) and 2nd got ~30.

In other words, I can fold here and wait for a better spot, but that spot gotta come soon.

Myst
06-16-2005, 05:23 PM
I play Sngs full time, and 12 x BB 5 handed is ALOT of time to find a better spot than AJ, esp against a big stack. AQ, probably, but not AJ. If the big stack would raise with A QT, 98s type hand to isolate the weak limper, than a reraise all in is in order... But the way you describe it, that doesnt seem to be in case.

lastchance
06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning toward folding as well, but pushing wouldn't be completely horrible. I don't like it though, seems like MP has a good hand. You have spots to steal still.