PDA

View Full Version : Opponents bet sizes

ihaveapigyo
06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
What is an opponent telling me by how much they are betting in relation to the pot? What about how much of their stack that they are risking?

stone_7
06-16-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is an opponent telling me by how much they are betting in relation to the pot? What about how much of their stack that they are risking?

[/ QUOTE ]

The size of their bets actually means nothing. Good poker players will watch their opponents ears. That is how you can figure out what the raise means

ihaveapigyo
06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
umm, i'm pretty sure that the bet size in relation to the pot means something. since in NL hold'em, you can control the size of the bets, there has to be some reason why that player bet the amount that they bet.

djoyce003
06-16-2005, 05:42 PM
They are telling you how much you'll have to call to stay in the hand?

In all seriousness though

A good player is always going to bet the size of the pot or some portion of the pot, but it's generally consistent....such as 2/3's is relatively common. If you are playing against a guy that constantly varies his bets, I'd try to figure out what it means. Some guys will bet real small when the flop completely missed them, bet the pot when it hit them. Some guys that are drawing will always make small bets hoping you just call and let them draw cheaply...it really depends...it's not a question that can be answered without seeing your opponents. My advice would be to just pay attention to how they are betting and what they had when they did it, and see if you can get reads that way.

ihaveapigyo
06-16-2005, 08:06 PM
well, when i bet at an opponent, i'm trying to give them unfavorable odds so if they do call my bet, they are making a mistake. if they do call or raise, i can determine that they have a made hand. if that's the case, then i have to rely on what i've noticed about that player and what he's likely to have. i haven't seen anyone being consistent in their betting patterns.