PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as too aggressive on button/SB when 4-6 left?

gildwulf
06-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Just curious...

I play at the 20s and I'm running into a lot of people who are WAY too passive when there are 4-6 left. I've started playing super super aggressive (as opposed to just super aggressive) in these situations, raising 3BB with junk in the SB and on the button etc. much more often.

My question is...if these people are playing too tight, is it ever correct to NOT raise them? I mean, I'm talking people who I steal blinds from 3 times in a row and they keep folding (even ITM!). Just wondering if this is ever going to come back and bite me in the ass (so far it's substantially increasing my 1st places and my 5th place finishes, which I'm happy with).

Cheers,
Zach

Bigwig
06-16-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious...

I play at the 20s and I'm running into a lot of people who are WAY too passive when there are 4-6 left. I've started playing super super aggressive (as opposed to just super aggressive) in these situations, raising 3BB with junk in the SB and on the button etc. much more often.

My question is...if these people are playing too tight, is it ever correct to NOT raise them? I mean, I'm talking people who I steal blinds from 3 times in a row and they keep folding (even ITM!). Just wondering if this is ever going to come back and bite me in the ass (so far it's substantially increasing my 1st places and my 5th place finishes, which I'm happy with).

Cheers,
Zach

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some opponents who are so tight that it's +EV to raise them in these spots 100% of the time. Just remember, that although your opponents may be donks, they do have eyes and (presumably) memories. They'll start to catch on after a while. You need to learn the balancing act of when it's time to put the breaks on. Also, the size of the stacks is of premium importance to your blind stealing tactics. Be aware.

pineapple888
06-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Huh? What's the downside?

If one of them pops you back, you already have it paid for. Keep pushing until you get frequent challengers.

I had an interesting HU the other day at the $215s where my opponent was way too passive. So I'd push almost every time... steal him down from $3500 to $1400 or so... then he'd get a hand and pop me back to get back up to $3500... this went on for at least four cycles... and finally he popped me back, I sucked out on him, and won. Nearly zero risk for me, given his strategy, unless he caught a string of great hands.

So there you go.

pineapple888
06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep pushing until you get frequent challengers.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Pushing" in the sense of "being super-agressive", not in the sense of "all-in".

Although you may often be all-in with this strategy.

Anyway, I'm sure you get it.

gildwulf
06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
These people exist at the 215s? Sweet:)

Thanks for the v. informative posts Pineapple+bigwig.

Z

eMarkM
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
The higher the blinds, the fewer left behind you and the bigger your stack the more correct it is to just push every time it's folded to you. 100/50, you don't need to get carried away. 300/150 and up, you only need to steal a couple times to go from middle stack to top dog in normal cases.

Stealing like a madman like this also has the advantage that you'll finally get called by AK and you suck out with 85o and usually send the table into a frenzy. Then you get the spite calls from guys with 7 high (seriously, it happened twice to me today after I had shown down junk a couple times).