PDA

View Full Version : Ruling on the play of 7-stud

Mikey
01-16-2003, 01:36 AM
ok, here is a hand that I'm discussing with a friend who plays mid-limit 7-stud.

He says he can fold anytime he wants. What I mean by this is that let's say he's sitting in seat 1. Seat 2 is high and checks on 5th street, it gets checked all the way around to him and he mucks without taking the next card. He told me that in Atlantic City the dealer has to give him another card even though he folded but in Vegas the rule is different because if he did the mucking when it was checked to him, the dealer would proceed to deal to seat 2.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this or seen anything like this and what is the rule in your card room?

Dynasty
01-16-2003, 02:01 AM
With no action on 5th street, he will still be dealt another card on 6th street in Vegas. Of course, his hand is dead.

Greg (FossilMan)
01-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Tell your friend he's a dork. If you haven't already.

I believe the most common rule is he will be dealt a card until somebody makes a bet and his hand is then "officially" folded. Of course his cards are in the muck already anyway.

I saw a guy do this on 4th street once, and it got checked on 5th and 6th. He would've ended up making open trips and won a small pot. He was pissed, and I was pleased at his upset. Served him right.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Mikey
01-16-2003, 07:58 PM
"Tell your friend he's a dork. If you haven't already."

-it's pretty funny how you can pass this statement without even knowing the person.

"I believe the most common rule is he will be dealt a card until somebody makes a bet and his hand is then "officially" folded."

- you believe or do you know? You obviously don't know the ruling since you started the startment with "I believe".

"I saw a guy do this on 4th street once, and it got checked on 5th and 6th. He would've ended up making open trips and won a small pot. He was pissed, and I was pleased at his upset. Served him right."

-with this statement you still fail to answer my question whether he actually received the card or if it was dealt to the next player. This is bascially irrelevant information for the topic of this discussion.

Later, (Mikey)

ohkanada
01-17-2003, 01:12 AM
"I saw a guy do this on 4th street once, and it got checked on 5th and 6th. He would've ended up making open trips and won a small pot. He was pissed, and I was pleased at his upset. Served him right."

Read the quote again. He would have made open trips. Of course he was dealt cards.

And in the few places I have played 7 stud you will still get dealt a card if you check-out.

Ken Poklitar

Greg (FossilMan)
01-17-2003, 10:12 AM
I said believe because while it is the rule everywhere I have seen the situation arise, I haven't played in the majority of cardrooms in the world.

As for your friend's dorkiness, that is my judgment based upon everything I know about him. It is possible that my judgment would change if I learned more.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

MRBAA
01-17-2003, 12:41 PM
At low limits at Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods I've seen people do this plenty. And yes, they get dealt cards until someone bets.