PDA

View Full Version : Level 2 - Call or Reraise PF?

KramerTM
06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Is there a better way to play this? I'll reply with my retrospective thoughts afterwards.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1830)
CO (t690)
Button (t775)
Hero (t1160)
BB (t875)
UTG (t650)
UTG+1 (t730)
MP1 (t1290)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t60</font>, MP2 calls t60, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t90, MP2 calls t90.

Flop: (t480) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP1 calls t250, MP2 folds.

Turn: (t980) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 is all-in for t890, Hero folds.

Freudian
06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Good hand choice of hand to post. Shows exactly why re-raising out of position makes this hand hard to play. I think position is so important in levels 1-3 that it should dictate if you call or raise here.

AliasMrJones
06-16-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good hand choice of hand to post. Shows exactly why re-raising out of position makes this hand hard to play. I think position is so important in levels 1-3 that it should dictate if you call or raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate on how this hand would play better if you call rather than raise preflop.

therock
06-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Your raise did very little other than get the BB to fold. I'd just call and see a flop. If there was one more opponent (245 pot), then I'd probably just go ahead and push.

therock
06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate on how this hand would play better if you call rather than raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold after the flop and save yourself 340 chips.

Freudian
06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply because the pot isn't so big and you didn't show strength preflop. Thus you don't have to take a stab at it, saving you tonnes of chips.

curtains
06-16-2005, 04:09 PM
I would lean towards calling, but raising is not terrible. However if you are going to raise, raising to 150 is ridiculous.

You need to make a raise that allows them to fold, and no one who voluntarily put in 60 chips is folding for 90 more. Note also that I would check that flop after your preflop raise.

Also it's very important to make larger than normal sized raises when you are out of position, as you are almost always less eager to see a flop when you have to act first on every round.

Bigwig
06-16-2005, 04:14 PM
You could make a case for both, but I'd probably call. However, if you're going to raise I prefer a push or a bet around 300-325. 150 is bad amount. All you've done is create a bigger pot with two opponents when you're out of position with AK, which can be very tricky to play postflop.

Additionally, I would not open that flop. It's far too worrisome for your hand against two players who (again) both have position. I'd check, and go from there.

AliasMrJones
06-16-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply because the pot isn't so big and you didn't show strength preflop. Thus you don't have to take a stab at it, saving you tonnes of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the pot is bigger and you showed strength PF you have to take a stab at it and spew chips? I don't think that follows.

What hands would you raise in this position?

Freudian
06-16-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the pot is bigger and you showed strength PF you have to take a stab at it and spew chips? I don't think that follows.

What hands would you raise in this position?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is your plan? Raise and the 70% you miss the flop check? Great way to spend chips preflop, especially considering you only get 800 to start with here.

What I would raise with depends entirely on my opponents. I would definately raise AA-QQ, sometimes AK, JJ. Sometimes I raise to 250, sometimes I push.

Scuba Chuck
06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree curtains. IF you're going to raise, raise much more. If you're trying to figure out how much to raise, raise the same amount you would if you had QQ here. That would be about right.

Sponger15SB
06-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Kramer, I've played with you before. You really need to stop talking at the tables.

gumpzilla
06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll echo the general sentiments: either raise more PF, or just call. I prefer calling. With the amount you raised, you just bloated the pot to the point where you didn't have a ton of postflop options.