PDA

View Full Version : Greed is good.

RYL
06-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Anybody agree or disagree? Please state why. I look forward to look at everyone's opinion.

bisonbison
06-16-2005, 02:12 PM
"Thirst is good."

That sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Greed is neutral.

groo
06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Greed helps good people do good things and bad people do bad things.

Supersetoy
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I agree. I love money. And not even because I can buy a lot of things with it...but just to have a lot of it makes me happy. Making money is one of my favorite hobbies/past times.

Greed has driven me to do a lot of crazy things to get money. Without greed I'd be bored most of the day.

Joshssj4
06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Greed is bad
Made golem go crazy and bite off Frodo's finger.

Benal
06-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Fear and Greed make the world go round.

Duke
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Agree. Gordon Gecko is a badass.

~D

theghost
06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
greed
n.

An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth: “Many... attach to competition the stigma of selfish greed” (Henry Fawcett).

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say bad. Competition/drive are good. Earning/having the means to buy stuff is good. Selling out your grandmother is bad (unless you never did get along with her).

A_C_Slater
06-16-2005, 04:06 PM
No. The richer you get the higher you move up the social spectrum. And at each new level you encounter people richer than you and then you have to catch up to them. Greed is about being better than other people. Would you desire money if there were no people around? Of course not.

It's not about attaining more money. It's about attaining more social imporatance. It is a terrible trap because there will always be someone richer.

Unless you're Bill Gates, then everyone calls you a derogatory name like "nerd" or "geek" and pretends to be better or "cooler" than him beause they have no chance of overtaking him.

Haters.

And Patrick Bateman is the new Gordon Gecko.