PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 Hand...Play it Out Cheap or Don't Bother?

Jeffage
01-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Same 5-10 game online as above. I'm in the cutoff with JJ. MP limper, I raise, button coldcalls, SB (solid player) makes it 15, limper folds, I consider capping but call, button calls. Three to the flop of AQA. SB bets. Anyone fold right now automatically and save your money? I'm getting 12-1 but there isn't much he can have now that I beat...AK, AQ, KK, QQ...only hand I can hope for is 10-10 or 99 or some weird pot build raise. I also have button to contend with. Anyway, I raise. How dumb is this? Button folds (if he calls or raises, I'm basically done). SB calls. Turn is a brick. Check, Check. River is the third ace. He bets, I call. Results to follow, but man did I play this like crap....right? Or did I "save money" by buying a free card? I just think I wasted money being aggressive in this spot. Flames welcome.

Jeff

gerf
01-16-2003, 02:43 AM
I think you need to fold on the flop. Most players do not reraise from the SB preflop without a hand that is beating you badly once you get to this flop. The fact that the button is still left to act makes the decision easier.

StoneAge
01-17-2003, 02:46 AM
Dump it on the flop, move to another table if the game is tight. They must not be good tight players, if the button was going to play why not raise?

Without the button overcall, you could put the small blind on a resteal (depending on what kind of player he is) with a more mediocre hand and play it the way you did.

Rube
01-17-2003, 03:35 AM
I wouldn't cap it pre-flop after a 3-bet from a solid player in the SB.

I also think you have an easy fold on the flop. If the SB really is a solid player, there aren't any hands he can have that you can beat. The chances that SB has TT 99 or another hand are too slim and you probably won't be able to get him to fold KK

Jeffage
01-17-2003, 06:34 PM
I called the river. I basically played this hand horribly. I got shown KK and lost. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for comments.

Jeff

JTG51
01-18-2003, 12:39 AM
If you had to list all of the possible flop, in order from most favorable to least favorable for your hand in this situation, I'd say this one is either the last or second last on the list.

Looks like as easy a fold as you will ever see. I'm a little surprised you even posted the hand. You must have felt so guilty about your play that you needed a little bit of abuse. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The _Grifter
01-18-2003, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't have capped pre-flop as well. I fold on the flop under these circumstances. G,

Mike Gallo
01-18-2003, 01:15 AM
I'm getting 12-1 but there isn't much he can have now that I beat...AK, AQ, KK, QQ...only hand I can hope for is 10-10 or 99 or some weird pot build raise. I also have button to contend with. Anyway, I raise. How dumb is this

If you raised to make a play at the pot I would not call it dumb. If the only way you could win is to knock your opponent off the hand and represent AQ , then I like the raise.

However a player as crafty as yourself would raise the on turn with AQ. You would have smooth called the flop. Your preflop play would be consistent with how you would play A Q offsuit.

Your opponent probably recognized that and wanted to check raise you on the turn.

When he bets the river you must fold.

Did you check the turn because you knew he had a check rraise planned?

Jeffage
01-18-2003, 12:59 PM
MG,

I checked the turn because I suspected a checkraise was coming. But my checkraise also would induce a bet from a worse hand then mine or nothing (now I know in this spot, that is unlikely bc this hand was screwy from the beginning). I thought about folding the river but called for whatever reason (prob. just to see how right I was that I was beaten). Thx for comments.

Jeff