PDA

View Full Version : Stud Sticky

dandy_don
06-16-2005, 08:10 AM
If we were to create a Stud sticky, what should it include?

My suggestions are:

1. Doc AZ's post regarding memorization of exposed cards (very old post but still one of the best ever) Part I and II. I could never find Part III in the archives.

2. A book report and recommendation on SCSFAP, Ashley Adams' book, Roy West's book, TOP. Others?

3. Favorite Internet sites to play stud, levels, rake, ante's

4. Bankroll requirements

5. Instructions and Link to the Stud Hand Converter

daveymck
06-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Stud software, ie stud inspector and stud tracker how good and what they do.

daveymck
06-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Maybe bankroll requirements and expected win rates as they tend to be the questions asked by beginners certainly in the holdem forums.

dandy_don
06-16-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

6. Ante considerations - no ante vs. small ante vs. large ante

7. Spread Limit vs. fixed limit vs. pot limit vs. no limit

[/ QUOTE ]

PoorLawyer
06-16-2005, 10:11 AM
the answer to "what happens if everyone stays in the hand in an 8 handed game, because there aren't enough cards in the deck"

dandy_don
06-16-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the answer to "what happens if everyone stays in the hand in an 8 handed game, because there aren't enough cards in the deck"

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I forgot that one. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

TheShootah
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
This is a genius idea!

dandy_don
06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Going back through the newer archives (since 2001--the only way I've found how to get there is to go to the "Older Archives" link, which date back before 2001, and at the top there is a link to the newer archives) and ran across another one of Doc Az's posts in response to a player wanting to learn stud. This would be a good link under the "I'm a HE player and want to learn stud..." portion of the sticky.

Man that guy was smooth...

Link to the archived post by Doc Az (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=stud&Number=383852&Forum=A ll_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=383787 &Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=5381&daterange=1&n ewerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodypr ev=#Post383852)

daveymck
06-16-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Going back through the newer archives (since 2001--the only way I've found how to get there is to go to the "Older Archives" link, which date back before 2001, and at the top there is a link to the newer archives) and ran across another one of Doc Az's posts in response to a player wanting to learn stud. This would be a good link under the "I'm a HE player and want to learn stud..." portion of the sticky.

Man that guy was smooth...

Link to the archived post by Doc Az (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=stud&Number=383852&Forum=A ll_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=383787 &Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=5381&daterange=1&n ewerval=&newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=d&bodypr ev=#Post383852)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus not many posters like him around these days, which is a shame.

10-20Jerome
06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

6. Ante considerations - no ante vs. small ante vs. large ante

7. Spread Limit vs. fixed limit vs. pot limit vs. no limit

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I have never seen a pot limit or no limit stud seen big set limits thou

Michael Davis
06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
I had a stud sticky once but it was in college and I was experimenting.

-Michael

dandy_don
06-16-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never seen a pot limit or no limit stud

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's worth having, but The Gaming Club (Prima) has PL and NL stud, at least they did when I played there.

beset7
06-16-2005, 08:57 PM
True. But the ultimate point being that the PL/NL stud thing should definitely be in a sticky post since it comes up every couple weeks.

Also, the question of whether we need a sticky post in this forums comes up every few weeks. Any of the regular posters ready to step up yet? I just stop buy every couple weeks and read and post rarely or else I would contact the moderator and write up a draft.

Andy B
06-17-2005, 01:45 AM
I was actually going to post about this tonight. I think I'll have some time over the weekend after all. If people post suggestions with links to suitable threads, I'll try to slap something together and post it either Sunday night or some time Thursday. Unless you really wanted to do it Don. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A good books thread would be a good thing to have. Doc's posts on card memory will be included. I'll look at the stickies for the other forums for more ideas.

Andy B
06-17-2005, 01:54 AM
BTW, if you are going to make suggestions, you should probably do it in this thread rather than in a PM, so that we avoid duplication of effort.

TheShootah
06-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Andy,

Here is some stuff I thought (some already mentioned, but I am just going off).

1. How freakin' sweet HLSPFAP and 7CSFAP are. SS1 is good too. I didn't like Wests book, I didn't like Adams' book either.
2. How party's 1/2 Structure bites the big one.
3. Mention stuff about card tracking programs, since that seems to come up a bit.
4. Doc's post.
5. Maybe some keys about 3rd Street that Hold Em players would need to know (The cards that are out, etc...)
6. Structures for different sites, what's good about them, blah.
7. How Stud is better than Hold Em!
8. How this forum is the best and friendliest on 2+2 (easily)!
9. How Razz is a stud game, but somehow get's posted in Other Poker, and how if you see a post, mention it to the poster, so that the questions actually get to where they should go.

Andy B
06-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. We do seem to get a post every month or two from someone who wants a crash course in stud for a free-roll that's starting in three minutes. A couple of well-chosen paragraphs would be good.

TheShootah
06-17-2005, 02:23 AM
This is true! My suggestions...

3rd Street:
1. Big pairs, 3 flushes, High Three Straights, Rolled Up Hands, are all playable.
2. You want them to be live. (in bold or something!)
3. You should throw away pairs when raised by what looks like a bigger pair.
4. Pairs do better heads up, so try to get them that way, 3 flushes and straights want players in, although 3 flushes with big cards and high three straights are ok heads up if you think you have overs.
5. Ante Stealing becomes paramount in the late stages of tournies!

4th Street
1. Look to thin the fields with big pairs here again, using raises or check raises.
2. A live 4 flush here can be raised against many opponents because of an equity edge. (make sure a raise won't knock people out)

5th street

1. This is another good place to knock people out, since the bet doubles.
2. This is a good place to dump hands that you think are beat, since it's gonna cost you.
3. If you think you have the best hand, don't give people a free card.

6th Street
1. If you make it this far, you are probably going to the end.

7th Street
1. The end. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

General Tips:

In loose games, raising on 3rd may not knock people out, and just builds the pot. Limp, and look to thin the field on 4th or 5th with a raise or check raise.

The cards that are out are paramount, not only to your hand, but to figure out what hands the opponent has also!

I am just writing this up out of sheer boredom, I don't wanna go to bed, but I should. None of this has to be put in, and I am sure there are people more qualified to write a stud summary than I. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: I kept 3rd Street pretty tight, leaving out the lower straights and pairs...they are harder to play.

dandy_don
06-17-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you really wanted to do it Don.

[/ QUOTE ]

No thank you, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling.

dandy_don
06-17-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Big pairs, 3 flushes, High Three Straights , Rolled Up Hands, are all playable.

[/ QUOTE ]

if we are going to gear this towards "the HE player's quick guide to stud", I'd add a warning not to chase the straights that don't become 4-straights on 4th street. Way too many players continue to chase 3-straights and gut shots after 4th street.

dandy_don
06-17-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
8. How this forum is the best and friendliest on 2+2 (easily)!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no writer, so I'd leave the drafting to others, but I believe the opening paragraph should hit on this. This is the best forum on this site. The first paragraph should state that we come to this forum to offer our knowledge to one another in the game we enjoy, offer advice (right or wrong) to those requesting help and learn how the mind of fellow stud players work.

Politely, it needs to state that this is not the Zoo. By that, I mean that we do not wish to have those come here that want to prove their knowledge of stud or poker in general by humiliating the advice or questions of others. It should be a forum where the first time poster feels as welcomed to participate as the Pooh-bah's. That's what drew me here nearly 2 years ago and I wish it to be the same for others.

This is also why I have recommended Andy be our Moderator, if he is willing to do so. I agree with his response that the forum as it is now may not require one, but it would be nice to have someone police the forum to keep it on a positive track. As can be seen be the increased posts over the past few months, HE seems to be losing it's luster and many are looking for a new game. Several of those players are going to be wandering into here and it would be nice to have the rules of the forum posted in the sticky and enforced by one of the posters that appreciates this forum for what it is.

My $.02 worth,
dandy

TheShootah
06-17-2005, 11:20 AM
This is true, although against boards that don't look bad, as long as your outs are still live, I might play. High three straights are even better since a hand like (QT)J can pair Q's and still have a winning hand. But I agree, three straights are tough to play.

dandy_don
06-27-2005, 07:55 AM
bump