PDA

View Full Version : How are you arriving at "tight, average & loose" classifications?

Turk
06-16-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very game dependent. If you put them all on 'tight', it is a push with any two. If you put them all on 'average', it is 63% of hands and Q4o is borderline. If you put them on loose (which you need in order to get 44), only the top 11% of hands are good pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the quote above from another thread, the discussion is related to stealing blinds on the bubble.
I am curious to know the different ways and methods that work best for arriving at these categories.
I try to pay a lot of attention to what players are raising & calling with, how many hands ther play, do they bet strong when weak & weak when strong etc. and I am sure this is a version of what many people do to find out what kind of players are at the table but it seems incomplete, kind of directionless.
Any suggestions for would be appreciated.

Bigwig
06-16-2005, 05:39 AM
I label people 'tight' or 'loose' by how 'tight' or 'loose' they play.

Turk
06-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Helpfull.

DasLeben
06-16-2005, 06:20 AM
When I'm multitabling, I tend to concentrate on the two players to my right, and the two players to my left. I gain a general feel for the table after a while, but it's much easier to form solid (though simple) reads on 4 players instead of 10.

The way I tend to judge things is by stack sizes. If I don't see someone's stack change much in 1-2 levels, it's reasonable to say that they're pretty tight. Granted this doesn't work every time, but it can be a general gauge of pushing/calling standards if you're working multiple tables.

Also, are they pushing a lot? If they are, but aren't calling pushes much at all, they're probably pretty solid and is someone I can steal from. Are they pushing a lot and calling a ton of hands? If yes, then I stay away from them. Are they content to blind down doing nothing? Then I steal relentlessly with any two.

If I'm single-tabling (rare), well, I don't really form reads, since I'm so bored I'm doing 2340984 other things besides playing poker. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I dunno...maybe some players try to come up with the math behind this during the game. I just don't see how you'd do it though. I just keep things simple and general.

raptor517
06-16-2005, 06:21 AM
some people use playerview and pokertracker to form reads. live updates are nice. glitchy though, so i dont use it. holla

DasLeben
06-16-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
some people use playerview and pokertracker to form reads. live updates are nice. glitchy though, so i dont use it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I used to do that. When PV expired and I didn't want to pay $50 for it, I just started doing things the old fashioned way. I'm finding my results to be better without PV, actually. I'm actually paying attention to my games now...

zambonidrivr
06-16-2005, 02:02 PM
i have pokeroffice and like it more than any other software. the screen overlays are awesome. i think this is a must for any multi tabler. plus it tracks all history of anyone you ever played and displays any metrics and/or custom metrics that you can define and have overlayed on screen.

Rolen
06-16-2005, 02:09 PM
The best use reads all the time, but I find them too subjective..Just because a player calls with Q2o in early position first hand doesn't necessarily mean they'll be tight when the blinds matter. While i'm not disputing that reads are very helpful, I find my brainpower is better spent (albeit with a smaller ROI) 4 or 8 tabling with no reads than playing 1 table with reads.