PDA

View Full Version : betting half one's stack on a bluff

mookoon
06-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum (and apparently my second post on 2+2 but I can't quite remember what the first was). This forum's been incredibly useful and interesting to me over the few months that I've been reading it.

Anyway, I play the slightly deeper stacked sngs on pokerroom and in one hand I made the following ridiculous continuation bet: (this is a 22)

Seat 3: Hero [AC,JH] ($1,085 in chips)
Seat 4: tylero24 ($705 in chips)
Seat 5: tx_law_ag95 ($1,535 in chips)
Seat 7: Davey_Boy69 ($2,020 in chips)
Seat 8: ACE THE DOG ($2,720 in chips)
Seat 9: Groover7 ($940 in chips)
Seat 10: soboco22 ($5,995 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
Groover7 posts blind ($25), soboco22 posts blind ($50).

PRE-FLOP
Hero bets $200, tylero24 folds, tx_law_ag95 folds, Davey_Boy69 folds, ACE THE DOG folds, Groover7 folds, soboco22 calls $150.

FLOP [board cards 7S,2C,KC ]
soboco22 checks, Hero bets $400, soboco22 bets $5,795 and is all-in, Hero folds.

SHOWDOWN
soboco22 wins $6,620

Pre-flop raise possibly also ridiculous.
In any case, I realized afterwards that if soboco22 was astute, he would have made that flop raise with anything, noting that my pot-sized bet clearly wasn't a milking bet, yet I wasn't happy enough with my hand to go all in. With any made hand I wouldn't have made that bet.
Maybe the general principle is that any bet which can serve no legitimate purpose must be a bluff.

Since then, I've observed that this happens with some frequency: in a hand, someone will raise all but the last ~20% of their stack, get put all in, and fold. I have been able to exploit this tell a couple of times, but it's always risky since it's expensive and, of course, you might be wrong.
Anyway, this might be just common sense, but I thought I'd post it. Thanks again for a great forum!

jon462
06-16-2005, 03:40 AM
given that you did make that bet, why in the world would you fold? you planning on making a great comeback from 400 chips with 50/100 blinds coming up soon?

you made quite a few mistakes that hand, not the least of it was raising utg with a weak hand.. you should have folded preflop..

i think you hafta either check the flop or push.

Nottom
06-16-2005, 03:43 AM
meh, i do this sort of crap all the time (the flop bet not the preflop overbet with a weak hand), it works enough to make the bet profitable i think.

Contrary to the other poster, calling the all-in on the flop is terrible. Good fold.