PDA

View Full Version : Mariucci canned

M2d
01-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Just announced. Official press conference at noon (in an hour). He obviously had his shortcomings, but he was certainly a better coach than the average. John York must have Dennis Green or Holmgren in his pocket already.

IrishHand
01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Holmgren's spent the past few years demonstrating that he's evolved into an atrocious coach. Dennis Green would probably be a good fit.

B-Man
01-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Holmgren's spent the past few years demonstrating that he's evolved into an atrocious coach. Dennis Green would probably be a good fit.

Sure, after all, the way Dennis Green kept Randy Moss in line, I am sure he would do wonders with Terrell Owens (well, unlike Moss, at least Owens plays hard most of the time).

As for Holmgren, he certainly has created a question whether "Holmgren the Genius" was merely in the right place at the right time (i.e. with Brett Favre), but I think it is more likely he is still a very good coach, but an awful GM (actually, I am pretty sure he is an awful GM).

IrishHand
01-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Dennis Green didn't keep Moss in line. Moss kept Moss in line - he was at a point in his career where he had to put up for a couple years in order to show he wasn't a complete waste of talent. Keep in mind that most of his blatant stupidities took place under Green, not Tice.

I agree that it may be that Holmgren the GM killed Holmgren the coach in Seattle. However, unlike many in the media, I don't draw those sorts of lines. Nearly every prominent coach has a huge say in personnel matters. The scouting staff and GMs make suggestions and deal with contracts, but top coaches retain veto power over most transactions. I suppose if it was the case the his "GM" duties took away from his coaching, then perhaps one can adversely affect the other. Guess we'll see in the next year or two now that he's been relieved of his GM responsibilities.

B-Man
01-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I guess my sarcasm on Dennis Green didn't come through clearly. I was being sarcastic when I said he kept Moss in line. Moss stayed in line long enough to land a huge contract. He is talented enough that, short of a Ray-Lewis type situation, he wont be cut almost regardless of what he does, but 99% of the players have to play hard, or they can be cut at any time. That is one of the things that makes the NFL great, the players have to stay motivated and work hard, or they can be fired.

I'm not even sure Bill Parcells could keep Randy Moss in line at this point.

I think Holmgren the GM did kill Holmgren the coach's chance of winning the last few years, he made some horrible decisions. In Green Bay, Ron Wolf was the GM (and a damn good one). It will be intersting to see how Holmgren does the next few years. His QB is still Matt Hasselbeck, who I am still not sold on (despite a strong finish to the season).