PDA

View Full Version : Duck

ClaytonN
06-16-2005, 02:39 AM
A well-made duck leg confit owns all other kinds of poultry, bar none.

Discuss.

2+2 wannabe
06-16-2005, 03:44 AM
what the hell are you talking about?

btw, barbecued chicken breast owns everything poultry

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 09:06 AM
what is a confit?

Skjonne
06-16-2005, 11:09 AM
http://www.photoblog.be/carmen/images/000/924/924268.jpg

M2d
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Fried Chicken

StevieG
06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
In general, duck makes for better tasting poultry dishes since it is fattier. I far prefer duck to chicken on a taste basis alone, but concede that chicken is healthier.

Peking duck and other duck dishes in Chinese and Thai cuisine are very tempting to me in restaurants.

Duck confit in particular always gets my attention, though it can be too salty sometimes. Petit Louis bistro (http://www.petitlouis.com/) here in B-more makes a great duck confit.

WillMagic
06-16-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno...duck magret is pretty ridiculous too...as are chicken mcnuggets...

Will

Rhone
06-16-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is a confit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duck pieces slowly cooked (and then stored) in its own fat. It's wonderful.

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is a confit?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This does indeed sound wonderful. Where can I get this?

Rhone
06-16-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is a confit?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This does indeed sound wonderful. Where can I get this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A French restaurant may serve it. I've seen it in gourmet grocery stores like Balduccis (sp?) or maybe even whole foods. you could also order it and have it shipped from here (https://www.dartagnan.com/index.asp) or perhaps here (http://www.dibruno.com/).

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A French restaurant may serve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh so it's French. That was really my question.

ClaytonN
06-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I have never tried Ostrich. I don't even know if it's served at any restaurants I eat at.

If any Atlanta 2+2'ers are reading this, go to the restaurant 'Iris'. Best duck in town.

eric5148
06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
They have ostrich at the Whole Foods market near my house. I plan on grilling some ostrich burgers whenever I get my lazyass up and clean out the grill.

Benal
06-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Have you tried Foie Gras?

Blarg
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Duck is very fatty. Sometimes too fatty for me. I like the flavor of duck itself, but chowing down on big yellow globs of bubbly fat is no attraction. In duck dishes, sometimes half of what you get is fat, which is very unappetizing. The meat part sure is good, though.

Rhone
06-16-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Duck is very fatty. Sometimes too fatty for me. I like the flavor of duck itself, but chowing down on big yellow globs of bubbly fat is no attraction. In duck dishes, sometimes half of what you get is fat, which is very unappetizing. The meat part sure is good, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand why, but they say the confit cooking process removes the most fat from the meat, even though you're actually cooking it entirely in fat.

ClaytonN
06-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Just confit.

djoyce003
06-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Prefer a pan seared or high heat grill seared duck breast actually.

ClaytonN
06-16-2005, 05:59 PM
That's how they make the confit at the restaurant I frequent. They use a really hot pan and cook it very quick. The outer portions are crispy, almost like it's caramelized. Inside it's nice and rich fatty duck meat. Mmm.

Analyst
06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so totally correct that there is really nothing to discuss. In fact, there is very little - if any - food, not just poultry, that compares favorable with duck confit.

belloc
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to figure out how drunk you'd have to be to misspell 'outfit' as 'confit'.

Then I guess I was trying to figure out how drunk you'd have to be to start a thread about the ownage of a well-made duck outfit. As opposed to, say, a well-made turkey outfit.

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never tried Ostrich. I don't even know if it's served at any restaurants I eat at.

If any Atlanta 2+2'ers are reading this, go to the restaurant 'Iris'. Best duck in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

ostrich is not good. it's very dry. to make a good ostrich burger, the meat needs to have some pork fat added.

Blarg
06-16-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand why, but they say the confit cooking process removes the most fat from the meat, even though you're actually cooking it entirely in fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long slow cooking tends to do that, as it eventually melts the fat away, while still keeping it moist.

I haven't had duck that much, but when I have, it's been in Chinese or Thai restaurants, and has come with big yellow blobs of fat. Peking duck is cooked very slowly, but just your average duck dishes they cook the regular quicker ways, when I've gotten them, have the duck fat intact. Fat has been a delicacy in most cultures until very recently, and duck fat is still thought of that way by lots of people.

I think cooking in fat lends a lot of flavor, but when you eat the fat itself, the texture is disgusting. Even more so for duck and chicken than for beef or pork. Most people would probably think I'm crazy, but that's okay; it's not the first time and it won't be the last.

I still like duck when it's not too raw, but if the price is eating the fat too, I'd rather just skip it.

I've REALLY never gotten into the school of having your duck almost raw.

Blarg
06-16-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ostrich is not good. it's very dry. to make a good ostrich burger, the meat needs to have some pork fat added.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds to me like you could still mix it well with other things, like in a stir-fry or something. I always hear about ostrich steaks, but there's gotta be other ways to make it. Heck, I bet it would be good in chili -- any meat that walks on land seems great in chili. Well, maybe not ham, I'd pass on that.

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds to me like you could still mix it well with other things, like in a stir-fry or something. I always hear about ostrich steaks, but there's gotta be other ways to make it. Heck, I bet it would be good in chili -- any meat that walks on land seems great in chili. Well, maybe not ham, I'd pass on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of ostrich chili. tastes funny to me.

Blarg
06-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Never had it, but I'd like to try it. I've had chicken chili and it was great, and pork in chili is great.