PDA

View Full Version : My Beginning

Luminous Mist
06-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Hi there! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know this is my first post but I have been lurking for a couple of months (I guess I hope citanul is in a good mood today /images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I wanted to share my very breif poker history and plan.

I started playing poker 3 months ago but since I don't have too much discretionary income I have been playing play money tables. I think I am now ready to get out of the kiddie pool and start playing with the big boyz, /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

I have watched several dozen real money games at the $11 buyin level on Party and feel that given what I have learned from lurking here, I can beat them (at least a little bit anyway). I really don't want to reload though...so here is how I've structured a 'system' to follow:

I have $300 that I can put into my account. I know this is not the optimal number of buyins perhaps, but I feel I'm ready to play and want to be 'in the action' so to speak, /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I will add a table or move up in buyin level every time I am up 30 buyins (I may modify this if it seems too slow). So, after my bankroll is at $600 I will either play $22 level or play two $11s at the same time. Part of my plan is to share with this forum things I am learning and my progress made. So I may either post in this thread or create new ones as my development comes along.

Anyway, I guess I'm really just saying that I'm happy to be here, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Luminous

PokerCat69
06-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Welcome! You should add tables when you feel comfortable, you don't really need extra money to play more.
Playing 2 11s has less risk then playing a single 22 table because you have double the chance of making it ITM.

Onaflag
06-16-2005, 02:29 AM
Welcome to the boards. Good luck!

Onaflag.........

KramerTM
06-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I was just going to say... 30 Buy-Ins should be plenty to 4-table with (not saying you should start off this way, but just letting you know that you sholdn't need 120 Buy-Ins to 4-table.)

I had a similar humble start as you. Started with 127 dollars of leftover limit money from PartyPoker before a friend steered me towards SnGs and the 2+2 board. I moved up everytime I had 30 BIs and am now stuck in a rollercoaster ride of 33s with a bankroll that seems to have plateaued at around $1500 /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyway, here are some suggestions:

1. Be active on the board. Save your hand histories and post some puzzling hands.

2. Sign up for a rakeback if you didn't set up your real money account yet. This is kind of hypocritical since I haven't done so myself (lazy as hell), but I've heard stories of rakeback checks enough to support people.

3. Don't drain off your winnings playing a game you haven't yet mastered (for me, this is limit hold'em)

4. Read this thread http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Good luck!

Irieguy
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Playing 2 11s has less risk then playing a single 22 table because you have double the chance of making it ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not confuse the new guy with bad math. If a 40% ITMer plays 2 tables at once, he will make the money in at least one of them 64% of the time... not 80% of the time.

You are correct to advise him that it is less risky, though.

Irieguy

4T25Q85
06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the forum and my home(the $11 SnGs). Let me be the first to say, we are not the big boyz /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SlackerMcFly
06-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the board Luminous and to SNG play. It's gwanna be a wild ride, one that you will enjoy a great deal.

Patience, discipline, confidence.......

SlackerMcFly

Luminous Mist
06-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the link...I am already familiar with The Shadow. Such a mysterious character, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I am not sure if I'm going to 4-table yet. I think there is too much that can be learned by playing 1 or 2 tables to add many more while I'm not an expert player yet.

Thanks for your success story. I hope to be 'stuck' in the $33s someday, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Oh, I played 6 $11s last night. Nothing too spectacular although I got 1 first already! It is nice to be 'Champion' so early in my career, /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

In a game I finished 4th in I had a situation four handed where UTG min-raised as second largest stack (I had him covered by ~t700). Two relatively short stacks folded and I pushed my AQ. He instantly called with AJ, won, and then berated me for some reason, talking about how good he was and how I was pushing too much and I finally got what I deserved. Oh well, still almost got into the money and I think I like my play better than his, /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Luminous

wiggs73
06-16-2005, 01:30 PM
welcome to the forums... rough beat on that last hand, but try not to be results oriented (sounds like you aren't being, which is good). you made the right decision and most times, that play is going to work for you. good luck in the future.

Freudian
06-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Start with one table. Pay close attention to what the others are doing. Much of what is happening/will happen makes perfect sense based on the previous action. (for example when people are saying "how could I know he would call me down with 33" there are almost always clues that should have told you that the guy would do exactly that).

I promise you will learn at a much higher pace than you would by adding more tables.

Then when you feel comfortable/bored with one tabling, add more.

Luminous Mist
06-16-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
welcome to the forums... rough beat on that last hand, but try not to be results oriented (sounds like you aren't being, which is good). you made the right decision and most times, that play is going to work for you. good luck in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you....no, I enjoyed that hand. I think it is 'luminous' that I am able to see how his play might be a mistake while mine was certainly not. I'm not exactly sure what I'd push back at him in that situation though. Perhaps AQ or better, and 88 or better since he did seem fairly likely to call. I also think he would raise bigger with big pairs...I remember him betting fairly large with KK earlier in the game. I think he has to lay down AJo to my allin just about every time, however, since he won't...I need to have tight pushing standards anyway, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Luminous

microbet
06-16-2005, 01:39 PM
You might want to turn off chat until your game has hardened up a bit.

Of the levels I've played (Play money -> $55s) I think the $11s varied the most from table to table. Be adaptable.

Definitely be wary of the expectations you develop in Play Money games. I really can't understand those games. Why do people work so hard to join a game and then just gambool? I understand it better in the money games where they are really gambling, than in the play games where they should just be trying to play well.