PDA

View Full Version : NPR, PBS, Sesame Street, etc.

Matty
06-16-2005, 02:02 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/09/AR2005060902283.html

[ QUOTE ]
A House subcommittee voted yesterday to sharply reduce the federal government's financial support for public broadcasting, including eliminating taxpayer funds that help underwrite such popular children's educational programs as "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," "Arthur" and "Postcards From Buster."

In addition, the subcommittee acted to eliminate within two years all federal money for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting -- which passes federal funds to public broadcasters -- starting with a 25 percent reduction in CPB's budget for next year, from $400 million to $300 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sign the petition to save our most informative television and radio news sources by signing this petition (http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5665-3904461-ArRBqNf.NRMliP6SEHUr1g&t=1).

lastchance
06-16-2005, 02:10 AM
So, they can cut this, but they can't Social Security?

Are you kidding me?

[censored]
06-16-2005, 06:19 AM
good riddance

bholdr
06-16-2005, 03:00 PM
All I know is that there are a whole lot of ads on PBS nowadays- even commercial breaks in some of the evening shows.

screw that- they're not getting another penny from me (and i give quite a bit) until the ads are gone.

JackWhite
06-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Why do we need publicly funded tv or radio stations? Those shows you mentioned would probably do fine airing on commercial stations, so they wouldn't be off the air. Most of the money currently given to public broadcasting comes from corporations and individuals. The Federal Government money is a relatively small minority. If it gets cut, I am sure they can still survive.

In a world with hundreds of tv channels, satellite radio, the Internet etc...I have a hard time supporting this as a necessity.

Broken Glass Can
06-16-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good riddance

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you know we have an obligation to support liberals with taxpayers money? Didn't you get the memo?

kurto
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you know we have an obligation to support liberals with taxpayers money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised... if BGC ever said anything surprising.

PoBoy321
06-16-2005, 05:35 PM
I understand the desire to cut funding to what should be privately run corporations, but I think that it is important to have, as a contrast to corporate sponsored media which has little or not governmental influence, government sponsored media which has little or no corporate influence.

kurto
06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it is important to have, as a contrast to corporate sponsored media which has little or not governmental influence, government sponsored media which has little or no corporate influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

andyfox
06-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I hear Burt, and especially Ernie, are leftwingers.

PoBoy321
06-16-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear Burt, and especially Ernie, are leftwingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear Burt and Ernie aren't so much left and right as much as top and bottom.

Matty
06-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Once the polls came out that showed PBS and NPR viewers had the most accurate impressions about the Iraqi war, you knew this was coming. What was it Jefferson said...something about a knowledgeable citizenry being the downfall of democracy? It was either him or Rove, I can't remember.

PoBoy321
06-16-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once the polls came out that showed PBS and NPR viewers had the most accurate impressions about the Iraqi war, you knew this was coming. What was it Jefferson said...something about a knowledgeable citizenry being the downfall of democracy? It was either him or Rove, I can't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did this response come out of a gay joke?

Matty
06-17-2005, 12:28 AM
It didn't. I just clicked the 'reply' button at the bottom of the page.