PDA

View Full Version : Memory exercises?

dawade
06-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I just realized I have a hard time remembering stuff. I'm at work for 8 hours a day and I will have a nifty idea and then by the time I get off work I have forgotten all about it - are there such things as memory exercises or memory study to help me remember some of the more finer points on things?

Also...

It seems like I can read a page of a book in less than 2-3 minutes, but if you asked me what the page said I could only give a brief brief synopsis...any reading tips?

Malachii
06-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Lay off the weed and/or alcohol.

JoshuaD
06-16-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like I can read a page of a book in less than 2-3 minutes, but if you asked me what the page said I could only give a brief brief synopsis...any reading tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay more attention and read slower. I've found that when I'm reading my mind often drifts as I'm eyeing over the words. I'm reading, and I can sorta remember what I read, but not in very much detail.

Blarg
06-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Take choline. It helps your synapses pass messages to each other.

Stay away from sugar.

Some people do better with quiet. Try turning off your t.v. or stereo or even putting earplugs in. Lots of people would hate that, but it can work.

Drink plenty of water. Being subtly dehydrated cuts back on your energy level, mood, and clarity.

There actually is a memory drilling kit on sale at Amazon. I ordered it the other day, and they're shipping it out soon.

Also, combine reading with writing. Writing down main points or things you agree or disagree with engages you mind much more actively on material, making remembering it much easier. Plus, it serves as a refresher when you look at it later. Putting an authors words into your own words also requires a lot more thinking about them than just reading them does. Trying to say something you've read in more than one way is a big help to memory. Making memory active rather than passive is a very powerful way to enhance it.

Oh, and be sure to get enough sleep. The ability to remember new and old things is one of the first things that lack of sleep starts to affect.