PDA

View Full Version : Running at night

this guy
06-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Do any of you run at night? I have to get up pretty early every morning so my best chance to get a nice run in is at night, and there's a park near my house with some nice trails to run on but the thought of running at night when it's dark out in some scary deserted park scares me, I'm afraid I'll get attacked by some crazy guy or a wild animal or something. Am I just being a giant pussy?

PoBoy321
06-16-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you run at night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only from the cops.

Hiding
06-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm saying wuss

CallMeIshmael
06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Is finding a busier route not an option?

FWIW, I run at night on a route that isnt very populated at all, and feel safe. But, I live in Canada /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tbach24
06-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Can't you just get up 30 minutes earlier?

In a park you could also trip over one of those branches that comes out of the ground.

HtotheNootch
06-16-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you run at night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only from the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you're sure the guy can kick your ass or has a knife.

bennyk
06-16-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you run at night? I have to get up pretty early every morning so my best chance to get a nice run in is at night, and there's a park near my house with some nice trails to run on but the thought of running at night when it's dark out in some scary deserted park scares me, I'm afraid I'll get attacked by some crazy guy or a wild animal or something. Am I just being a giant pussy?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends where you are. i generally wouldn't run alone in a park late at night, but i live in nyc. if you mean like 7-8pm it's probably ok, otherwise i'd stick to well-lit sidewalks/roads, especially if you are a 5'-10" blonde with a great body.

i ride often at night, usually between 1-4am, and feel safe, but i'm moving much faster. i also try to get people to go with me because it's more fun and safer.
bk

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I love running at night. If you're really afraid of animals, then yes, you're a big pussy. It seems like there are lots of rapes in parks at night. But muggers realize most people don't carry $$$ when they run so they'd probably only come at you near your car. Make suyre the parking area is well lit and you should be o.k.

steelcmg
06-16-2005, 08:51 AM
I have to get up at 530 to get to work by 7 so i have been running around 8pm since its way to hot out to run when i get home from work.

RunDownHouse
06-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Seriously, between this and your post gushing over "Dancing with the Stars," you have to be female. Right?

Anyways, I don't see why you don't wake up earlier. I get up at 4:30 to either run or lift before work. Its dark then, too, but I feel just as safe as if it was noon. Muggers need sleep too.

I also don't see why you're particularly worried about being attacked. Nobody carries a wallet or money with them when they're running. And if you're a dude, I don't think you're a likely candidate for rape. So I guess it just comes down to, as you said, crazies and wild animals. Crazies don't care if its night or day, and unless you live in the mountains or in Jurassic Park, I don't think wild animals attacking you is much of a worry either.

So, yes, you're worrying needlessly.