PDA

View Full Version : Writing ... make you a better thinker?

Maulik
06-16-2005, 12:19 AM
as I'm watching Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, for some reason I am thinking does writing about something, music or movies help you grow as a thinker. Analytically, I think it may help to spur some thought processes which if you are not in the profession of writing are not accustomed to using. Not just in reference to becoming a better writer but more so in regard to the thought process...Any thoughts?

touchfaith
06-16-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as I'm watching Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, for some reason I am thinking does writing about something, music or movies help you grow as a thinker. Analytically, I think it may help to spur some thought processes which if you are not in the profession of writing are not accustomed to using. Not just in reference to becoming a better writer but more so in regard to the thought process...Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do drugs instead

kt421
06-16-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Writing tends to force you to think. The more you practice thinking, the better you get at it. Many people seem to believe that thinking is something that you just do...as if you can't practice it and improve on it. You can, and writing is a good way to do it.

Tron
06-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Well, I think in order to become a better thinker through writing, you need to be a good writer... Which, of course, requires a disciplined thought process.

One of my favorite writing style books is Writing With Style (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130257133/qid=1118896179/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-8904534-3468629?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

blaze666
06-16-2005, 02:07 AM
i have got a feeling reading is more effective. i go to a nice school, where the average student has a way above average intelligence, and they all read when younger, and now read about half an hour every day. i have a way above average intellegence for my age (yes, im very arrogant) and i read about half an hour every day, i enjoy this, but most of the dumb SOBs i meet elsewhere do not read at all, and say that reading is boring. that's why they are very stupid.

Blarg
06-16-2005, 02:29 AM
A famous author once said, "I write so that I know what I think."

This is excellent advice.

Just like teaching something like a sport or a skill often makes you much better at it, writing similarly makes you go over and refine your knowledge and understanding. Most people think they have a lot better grip on things before they actually set out to write about them; the writing is a valuable process that exposes gaps in knowledge, contradictory ideas, and lack of clarity. It's a powerful way to increase and perfect your knowledge.

Aytumious
06-16-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i have got a feeling reading is more effective. i go to a nice school, where the average student has a way above average intelligence, and they all read when younger, and now read about half an hour every day. i have a way above average intellegence for my age (yes, im very arrogant) and i read about half an hour every day, i enjoy this, but most of the dumb SOBs i meet elsewhere do not read at all, and say that reading is boring. that's why they are very stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure isn't very good for someone so smart. Also, using "way" in the manner that you did makes you sound like a high school female.

Aytumious
06-16-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A famous author once said, "I write so that I know what I think."

This is excellent advice.

Just like teaching something like a sport or a skill often makes you much better at it, writing similarly makes you go over and refine your knowledge and understanding. Most people think they have a lot better grip on things before they actually set out to write about them; the writing is a valuable process that exposes gaps in knowledge, contradictory ideas, and lack of clarity. It's a powerful way to increase and perfect your knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. Sigmund Freud once stated that when he first began writing extensively he felt as if he were being introduced to a completely different person. That experience will certainly make someone both better able to think and analyze their thought processes, while also making them more reflective and perhaps more in tune with themselves.