PDA

View Full Version : Madrid, Spain, ever been there?

rt1
06-16-2005, 12:17 AM
So I am going to Madrid this summer once the WSOP finishes up (July 15th). I was wondering if anyone has ever been and what should I do over there. I am going with a girl, so during the day we will prob do the museums, shopping, eating. Whats good for that?

At night we will be getting shitfaced. So any ideas on what bars / clubs to go to. I was told not to even try to go out until midnight, because the nightlife is dead before that, that true?

Also, what is the dress code over there? I usually wear a nice button down shirt, jeans (very nice ones, but i have slacks as well), and shoes. Is that enough, or do I need to dress like Euro trash?

Thanks!

thatpfunk
06-16-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am going with a girl, so during the day we will prob do the museums, shopping, eating. Whats good for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is lots to do during the day. The food sucks. The Prado Museum is very nice older art and the Reina Sofia (sp?) has some nice modern stuff. The park (cant remember the name) is fun, especially on Sunday afternoons. Go to a bullfight and see a Real Madrid game.

[ QUOTE ]
So any ideas on what bars / clubs to go to. I was told not to even try to go out until midnight, because the nightlife is dead before that, that true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dinner starts between 9-10. Pregame at a bar around 12, go to your club around 2. Kapital is a big 8 story club that is popular with tourists, etc. Just walk around and you will find fun bars, clubs, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what is the dress code over there? I usually wear a nice button down shirt, jeans (very nice ones, but i have slacks as well), and shoes. Is that enough, or do I need to dress like Euro trash?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dress shirt and jeans is fine. Dress shoes that don't look like boots.

Have fun.

7ontheline
06-16-2005, 03:29 AM
I liked the food there. Did you hate the food everywhere in Spain, or just Madrid?

thatpfunk
06-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Spain, as a country, has very bad food, imo. I am generally very open with food too.

rt1
06-16-2005, 04:47 AM
awesome and thank you for the help!

thatpfunk
06-16-2005, 05:11 AM
No problem. If you have more questions pm me, I lived there for 6 months.

Skjonne
06-16-2005, 06:02 AM
I went to Madrid a month ago. I'm not into art museums but Madrid has some of the best in the world. Prado and Thyssen are right opposite each other and there's a third well-known art museum not far away.

The interesting part of Madrid is actually not that big. That means that it's no problem to walk from and to the things you want to see. I was there for four days and never used taxis or the Metro.

If you're into beers, there's a Brewpub called "Naturbier" at the Plaza Sankta Ana and another one 100 metres from the square called "Magister". None of their beers were that fantastic though IMO. Cervericia Oldenburg has a large collection of different europeans beers. It's in the northern part of the city (but still in walking distance) - google it.

The above mentioned Plaza Sankta Ana is known to be the place for the young people so you definately want to go there. It's all bars and restaurants. i know zip about night clubs.

Oh and the food is great. Without doubt you want to go to a Tapas Bar. Tapas is the national spanish dish which is a lot of rather smaller dishes. A Tapas Bar serves maybe 20 or 40 different small dishes and you just pick the ones you fancy. A absolutely great way of eating, especially if you're a twosome. Spanish seafood is great too, even in Madrid

What Madrid lacks is the standard tourist things. Paris has the Eiffel Tower, Berlin the Brandenburger Tor, London the Big Ben and so on and so forth. As a matter of fact there's not one thing in Madrid, that you absolutely just have to see.

So if your more into just walking around, enjoying the weather, having a drink and loving life then Madrid is a great city.

If you're a sucker for pictures of monuments and buildings and stuff like the japanese, you will on the other hand be dissapointed

thatpfunk
06-16-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Without doubt you want to go to a Tapas Bar. Tapas is the national spanish dish which is a lot of rather smaller dishes. A Tapas Bar serves maybe 20 or 40 different small dishes and you just pick the ones you fancy. A absolutely great way of eating, especially if you're a twosome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

hoyaboy1
06-16-2005, 07:43 AM
I'm there right now, but going back to the US tomorrow (studied here for a semester). In addition to what has already been suggested, I would go to Toledo or Segovia, very cool medieval cities as days trips.

What bar you go to doesn't matter that much - they are every 10 feet. Kapital, Joy, Pacha are probably decent places if you are only here for a few days. Spanish beer is awful, and IMO, the food pretty much sucks too - although that might just be the lack of variety catching up to me.

thatpfunk
06-16-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kapital, Joy, Pacha are probably decent places if you are only here for a few days

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm getting confused but isn't Joy a gay club? I remember going to one by accident, thought that was it.

If he is with a chick it doesn't really matter anyways.

hoyaboy1
06-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Nah, Joy Eslava, not a gay club.

jakethebake
06-16-2005, 09:39 AM
This reminds me of the time I went backpacking through Western Europe. I was staying in Barcelona and was hiking the slopes of Mount Tibidabo...