PDA

View Full Version : Just some random thoughts for my fellow low-limit players

Tyler Durden
01-15-2003, 11:44 AM
I've been on a streak lately and I think one of the big reasons for it is looking at hold 'em in a different light.

I started playing in June and as everyone knows, you spend the first three or four months learning a lot of the basics. That's what happened to me. And I lost a lot of money during those months. But I downplayed it, thinking to myself, it's just the price of a Hold 'Em education, and if I learn from the mistakes I'm making and I don't make them again, then I'm earning my money back and I'll start winning more often. You follow?

So if you're playing in a game and you make a play that you KNOW is wrong or if it's something that you wouldn't normally do, you're just cheating yourself, and you're regressing in your Hold 'Em education. And all of a sudden the price of your education has increased. What you want to do is learn from the mistakes and not make them again, that's how you make the money.

I remember when I was pretty new I saw a flop with about 5 opponents and I was last to act. All I had was a gutshot straight draw. It got checked to me and I bet. bad move. I got checkraised by the SB and I lost the hand. Clearly I should have taken the free card. That was a lesson I filed away in the back of my mind.

When you're out there, try to remember everything that got you where you're at currently in your level of play. Don't deviate from it; I play for fun but also to make money. I still consider myself to be a fish but I'm getting better. Every time you go on tilt or get out of line, you're cheating yourself. You KNOW it's not the right play. Don't make it. I rarely get out of line anymore because I don't want my education to take a step backwards. Think of it this way: you're just wasting all the time that you spent "learning" if you're not really learning from it.

Think about it.