PDA

View Full Version : Aces on the BB, UTG raises...

MightyKC7
06-15-2005, 11:44 PM
This one's been bugging me.
I had been at this table for about a half an hour. PT rates the BadGuy as LAA. I've seen him raise often but rarely went to showdown. My initial read on him after the flop was AK. Is this a case where I should have considered dropping the Aces after the flop raise? I'd appreciate everyone's brutal honesty on my play in this one.
Please forgive the hand format, hand converter doesn't like Interpoker, it seems.

Game #511010874: Texas Hold'em Limit ($0.50/$1) - 2005/06/14
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to MightyKC7 [Ah As]
BadGuy (UTG): raises $1
All fold
MightyKC7: raises $1
BadGuy: calls $0.50 ---> (6 SB)
----- FLOP ----- [Qh Kc Js]
MightyKC7: bets $0.50
BadGuy : raises $1
MightyKC7: calls $0.50 ---> (10 SB)
----- TURN ----- [Qh Kc Js][8d]
MightyKC7: bets $1
BadGuy: raises $2
MightyKC7: calls $1 ----> (9 BB)
----- RIVER ----- [Qh Kc Js 8d][7h]
MightyKC7: checks
BadGuy: bets $1
MightyKC7: calls $1 ---> (11 BB)

topspin
06-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Why the stop-and-go on the turn? After the flop raise I am calling down.

MightyKC7
06-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I guess it was a combo of not wanting to beleive that my aces could be beat and the fact that I watched him bully a lot on scare cards. Should have just called down after the flop raise as you said.
He ended up with KQo.
Learn and grow stronger, I suppose.

Maurader1
06-16-2005, 12:15 AM
3bet the flop and if capped, then I call down
AK or maybe even AQ if he is very agg will play this way, won't it?

bozlax
06-16-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm not SO agg, and I'd play AK like this.

Yort Mada
06-16-2005, 01:05 AM
i think he will have ak,aq here often enough to call down after his flop raise. i'd be thinking he floped 2 pair tho =/.

i think its still profitable to call down.

irishpint
06-16-2005, 02:12 AM
i'd 3-bet the flop, calling down if capped the rest of the way. a T gives you the nuts straight. His pf raise might be AK, AA, KK, or AQ and he thinks he has the best hand. even if he has KQ you have some outs to improve to a better 2 pair. i dont see myself dropping this hand ever.

Jaran
06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I'm putting at least one more raise in on the flop given your read. Not sure I like the sng, but it's not terrible. BTW, as Trix pointed out to another poster, before the days of the converter, everyone used to type out their hh's themselves, rather than posting raw hh's, like this:

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the CO (not sure what your position was in this hand) UTG raises and I 3bet. The flop comes...(you get the picture)

-Jaran

bottomset
06-16-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had been at this table for about a half an hour. PT rates the BadGuy as LAA. I've seen him raise often but rarely went to showdown. My initial read on him after the flop was AK. Is this a case where I should have considered dropping the Aces after the flop raise? I'd appreciate everyone's brutal honesty on my play in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm he's a lag, that raises you on a flop where he likely only has a pair of K's and you think you should fold?? comeon dude .. you need to 3bet there, yeah some of the time he'll have KQ, KJ, AT .. but most of the time you'll have him drawing to 2-5outs

bosoxfan
06-16-2005, 12:30 PM
There is no joy in Muddville.

sorry

MightyKC7
06-16-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum.
I'm putting at least one more raise in on the flop given your read. Not sure I like the sng, but it's not terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Jaran. Rookie question: By "stop-and-go" (sng) you guys are referring to the flop-call/turn-lead out correct? From reading some other posts, it seems as if this play has some tactical value. My motivation for doing so was less tactical and more rookie stupidism. Where may I learn more about that? I don't remember seeing that in SSHE (I do need to read it again).

[ QUOTE ]
umm he's a lag, that raises you on a flop where he likely only has a pair of K's and you think you should fold??

[/ QUOTE ]
bottomset - I didn't mean to say that I was thinking of folding, I was wondering if I SHOULD have been thinking of folding.

[ QUOTE ]
There is no joy in Muddville.
sorry

[/ QUOTE ]
bosoxfan - Indeed! Hopefully with a little help from the 2 + 2-ers I'll be knocking 'em out of the park soon. And go Sox.

Thanks for the help all.

Jaran
06-16-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Jaran. Rookie question: By "stop-and-go" (sng) you guys are referring to the flop-call/turn-lead out correct? From reading some other posts, it seems as if this play has some tactical value. My motivation for doing so was less tactical and more rookie stupidism. Where may I learn more about that? I don't remember seeing that in SSHE (I do need to read it again).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct on what the sng is. Personally, I don't use it too much, but a search of the forum should bring up some helpful threads. The only time I might use it would be against an overagressive oppponent that I wanted to bet/3bet on the turn. One thing you should start to work on as soon as you are able is to think about why you are betting/calling/raising. Have a reason for every move you make (every step you take, every bond you break...)

-Jaran