PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hand and a little something about variance/luck

BatsShadow
06-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Alright, first, let me give some perspective on this hand. I had just sat down. I have no reads on the players, but they're read on me looks like this:

I post in the BB and raise the field with AQ. I take the pot without showing on the river. In the next hand, I raise AQo again and steal the flop heads up. This is the very next (my 3rd) hand:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

The preflop call was for deception. At that point, I was pretty sure he was trying to resteal.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Wussed out on the end - Looks to me like he might be slow playing just like I was.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

What does he have? The case Ace?

A word on variance: During this session I was two-tabling and went up 47 BB in my first 20 minutes. In the last hour, I've had QQ twice (one set), AQ three times, A4s wins three hands, and KK an amazing five times. Luck still plays a fun part in our game.

Sinnister
06-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Id probably put him on tt-qq

blackize
06-15-2005, 10:55 PM
How can you wuss out on this river. The only hand he can have to beat you contains the last ace. The fact that he does not cap the turn after you 3 bet it tells me he does NOT have the ace.

BatsShadow
06-15-2005, 11:03 PM
His river raised totally looked like slow playing to me. I'm sure you are right - I should've capped and just dealt with the consequences. It's things like this that make me realize that I'm still not really very good.

Turns out he also had KK. I lost 25 cents.

blackize
06-15-2005, 11:06 PM
That sucks, I hate when that happens. Ive split several pots with QQ v QQ and it is the worst feeling because it seems like all that effort you just put into the hand was wasted and only the rake gained from it.