PDA

View Full Version : IP addresses in internet forum

10-02-2001, 03:16 AM
I think it's a terrible move and that's why I'm not posting there anymore. Even more annoying is the fact that all posts, even ones posted before the IP addresses were being shown, are not showing the IP address of the poster.

So what if some yahoo claims he's going to cheat on PP. I could go on there and claim I'm psychic and can read my opponent's minds. I could claim that I'm a cheater when I'm really not, just to rile people up. Who cares?

If the posts are not on topic or they deserve to be removed, I don't have any problem with removing them. But to expose everyone's IP, it's not necessary. I won't be posting on that forum ever again because of the retro-active IP exposure that occured to me without warning. So maybe I'm overly paranoid, I have that right.

I'm just waiting for the IRS to request 2+2 track all the IP addresses of everyone who claims to be a winning gambler. I'm assuming Mason would let us know if that information was ever subpenaed.

natedogg

10-02-2001, 04:36 AM
Nate:

If it helps, I'm tell them that you are a live one.

More seriously, Chuck Weinstock handles the administration of these forums. When he feels the problem is solved, which I expect to be soon, the IP addresses will come down. However, we are well aware of the draw backs of putting them up, but feel that it is what we have to do for the moment.

Best wishes,

Mason

10-02-2001, 01:44 PM
Ummm... couldn't you just put up the IP address of the offending posts?

10-02-2001, 09:24 PM
If it helps, I'm tell them that you are a live one.

Thanks Mason. I knew I could count on you to watch my back! What a guy!

You should know, however, that it's very dangerous to lie to the IRS. You probably know this, but.... wait a second! You would NEVER take the risk of lying to the IRS! hmmmmmmmm.....

natedogg