PDA

View Full Version : AK Preflop Debate

Chief911
06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Matt Matros article in Cardplayer. Good read.

Matros AK article (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14805&m_id=65565)

yoadrians
06-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Good article. Reminds me of a thread last night when some newbie was calling 'AK' a 'DRAWING HAND'. He just kept arguing that it was a 'DRAWING HAND' for, like, 2 hours.

Would hope he gets a chance to read this.

woodguy
06-15-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would hope he gets a chance to read this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like my opponents to view AK as a drawing hand who throw it away at the slightest sign of aggression. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice link Nick.

Regards,
Woodguy

Indiana
06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Interesting article. This article only discusses cold calling or moving in before the flop. It seems to me that there might be a better option-reraising but not all in...This way when you hit you make more $ from the opponents preflop call and he also may fold from a stop and go on the flop...or do you think he will just get pot committed and we lose fold equity???

Indiana

slickpoppa
06-16-2005, 11:32 AM
It's a good article, but the situation that he describes--facing a raiser with 15bb left--is a no brainer. Playing AK with 25-30 blinds is not so easy.

McMelchior
06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Moving all-in with AK has been treated pretty thouroughly in TPFAP. But what to do if I'm the opener?

With 16 BB I open-raise AK 4 x BB from EP and get one caller who has me covered. Flop comes uncoordinated and J hi. A continuation bet of 4 - 5 BB pot would commit me. If I check I'm being bet into for sure.

Check/fold or move in?

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

durron597
06-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Check/call push any turn?

woodguy
06-16-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With 16 BB I open-raise AK 4 x BB from EP

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening for 2.5BB doesn't tie you to the pot as much.

In reference to your question, depending on the opponent I may:

a) continuation bet all in
b) check/ raise all in over a "suspect" bet
c) check/fold (would have to up against a rock for this, but it happens)

Regards,
Woodguy

McMelchior
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
It's not clear to me what I gain from call-pushing-any-turn here as opposed to check-pushing the flop?

Both models offer the opponent better than 3:1 pot odds. At low buy-ins online ($10 - $50) and heavily satellite fed bigger online tourneys I would question if either path is going to discourage more than the most timid players ... could it be +EV to open-push/overbet the flop right away?

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Phil2
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Good article...this mirrors the thoughts about AK preflop described in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players , which was an eye-opener for me.

PimplyTeen2
06-16-2005, 04:06 PM
That was a great article. I find it interesting that he didn't mention the times when you run into aces or kings. I suppose he must is considered an anomaly, and those are things you have to deal with. Seems like the idea is to jam with ace king...

phil2, I have read that book in the past, but will go back to that section that you speak of. Thanks for the reference...

PimplyTeen