PDA

View Full Version : Who says fish can't read hands too?

jdock99
06-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Yesterday I was playing in my local live mid limit game about the normal time. I raised somewhere in mid position with KQo. I was predictably cold-called by super fish #1 on the button and super mega fish #2 on the big blind. Flop is QJ7, suits unimportant. Somewhere there is a check, somewhere I bet, and somewhere they both call. Turn is a blank and we repeat the same sequence again. River is where it gets interesting. It is a T, which is a danger card if there ever is one. But unfortunately with these two players a bet is still mandatory as there is a great likelihood of at least one call and perhaps even an overcall with as little as ace high, pocket 3, etc.

So I bet, fish #1 calls for time and hems and haws at his cards for a while which definitively means he still has 2 cards in his hand, and nothing else. He finally makes the big laydown (most probably ace high) and super mega fish #2 insta-calls, which again signifies he has 2 cards in his hand, and nothing else. I show my top pair and start getting ready to scoop the pot, when suddenly out of the blue super mega fish #2 shows the almighty 89o, for the river gutshot dummy straight, and he starts scooping the chips that were so ruthlessly torn from my grasp. I would like to say that me and the rest of the table were stunned and in awe, but we weren't, this was just a standard hand with an all too standard ending. However, the real interesting part of this hand was when player #2, as he was stacking the chips, confided in me in complete solemn seriousness that the reason he did not bet or raise the river was because he put me on AK!! At first, I thought of saying something rude and sarcastic to this unsolicited tidbit of wisdom, but the more I thought about it, the more I started to realize the true beauty and genius behind this awkward, yet brilliant, play.

Nick709
06-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't get it.

scott8
06-15-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He only raises with the nuts, but doesn't mind calling with what he thinks is 2nd best.

Phat Mack
06-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Nice post. Many fish are good hand readers. They get in trouble bluffing, calling bluffs with hands that can't beat bluffs, and just plain gamb00ling. But they will surprise you with their reads, which are often amazingly good or amazingly bad.

AlmightyJay
06-16-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that the fish called down, drawing to a ten, when he "knew" that the ten he was drawing to would give hero a bigger straight.