PDA

View Full Version : Is a rental Car needed in Vegas for WSOP

gcDanno
06-15-2005, 07:42 PM
This will be my first time in Vegas. Would you guys who went last year suggest that I get a rental for the week that I'm there? Or is there ample cheap transportation availble?

thx,
gc

Dynasty
06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Where are you staying and where are you going?

gcDanno
06-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Hoping to be at Tresure Island with the other PokerStars Qualifiers. Obviously, I'll spend a lot of time at the Rio. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, in my free time, I am very interested in exploring Vegas, and perhaps other surrounding areas.

Anybody suggest any great sight seeing trips that is close to Vegas?

Thanks,
gc

MoneyFunnel
06-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I was just out there and I am glad I had a rental. The Rio is pretty far off the beaten path.

My2Cents

Dynasty
06-15-2005, 08:21 PM
It would seem likely that PokerStars will provide some type of transportation to and from the Rio. Shuttle transportation should be easy for them to provide. But, I can't confirm that.

If you're willing to walk, everything on the Strip should be in walking distance from Treasure Island. It's not far from the center of the Strip. Besides, walking on the Strip is often faster than driving on it.

You could take a trip to the Hoover Dam or Grand Canyon. There are lots of packages which will be hard not find once you get to Vegas. There are also helicoptor tours of Vegas which take off just south of the Bellagio.

Dynasty
06-15-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just out there and I am glad I had a rental. The Rio is pretty far off the beaten path.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? It's less than a mile from the Strip.

BlackAces
06-15-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't want to walk a mile in Vegas this time of year.

poker327
06-15-2005, 09:12 PM
The Red Rock Canyon trip I took was good if you are into nature. The good thing about it is it is not too far from Las Vegas, compared to the Grand Canyon.

Dynasty
06-15-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't want to walk a mile in Vegas this time of year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The heat can be rough if you're not used to it. During the daytime, you should bring something to drink with you (or stop and buy something).

gojacketz
06-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah, but it's a dry heat...

Gojacketz

scottjf8
06-15-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would seem likely that PokerStars will provide some type of transportation to and from the Rio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just "to" - they say you have to get your way back after you lose (or at the end of the day)

FYI, I'm renting one, since on one of the off-days I'm gonna check out the Hoover Dam..

hoopsie44
06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Yeah...all 100 degrees.

chucksim
06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but it's a dry heat...

Gojacketz

[/ QUOTE ]

So is my oven.

Seriously, as to sightseeing for OP, Hoover Dam is a neat trip. Will be as hot as the surface of Mercury now, though.

After walking around on the top of the dam last year, we weren't sweating until we went inside the air conditioned gift shop. Eerie feeling to have the sweat evaporate so fast while you're outside.

Dynasty
06-15-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...all 100 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

100 degrees isn't so bad. When it hits 105, that's when a line seems to be crossed into an oppressive zone. When it hits 112-115, it's a whole different game.

jclin
06-15-2005, 11:20 PM
As a local, I recommend a car. Weekly rates in summer are usually pretty good. Plus, it's nice to get away from the glitz, especially during the day. Red Rock Canyon (about 10-15 minutes from where I live) is a good way to kill 3-4 hours, or more if you like to hike.

Even though it is dry heat, it's still fricking hot.

Guthrie
06-15-2005, 11:24 PM
I couldn't walk a mile in Vegas this time of year.