View Full Version : 3 and 5 blind live no limit holdem

J2Joe
01-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I was playing in a live money no limit holdem. The minimum buy is 200 so there is always mixture of deep and shallow money. The Blinds are 3 and 5. It was a live 10. There was 1 caller before I called with KQh. There was then 1 caller in front of the button, the button called and the live 10 checked. Five players. The flop came

6h 7h 10c

The two players in front of me checked, I checked, the player behind me made it 45. The button called the 45, and then the live blind raised 100. The player behind him called the 145, I called the 145, the original bettor folded and the Big Blind went all in with 440 additional. The live blind called all in for around 360 more. The person behind him hummed and hawed until he threw it away. That left 1330 in the pot and me to fold or call. I had about 2700 in front of me from a 1500 buy in.

Now the other 3 players that were still in the pot after the 1st raise were extremely live. The button is extremely aggressive and often makes moves like this with a pair and any flush draw, straight draw or even a gut shot. The live blind who made the original $100 raise is a player that all the regulars get excited about when he gets to the card room. He makes a lot of calls and often bets with ridiculous hands. I am not so sure that he often raises though. The guy who threw the hand away after the all in bets is also quite live so he may have wanted to call on many hands. What do I do?

mobes
01-15-2003, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't have called the 145 with that many people in the pot without the ace.

Phat Mack
01-15-2003, 04:29 AM
I have a few questions:

When you smooth called before the flop, what was your plan?

The action is now on you. Is it $440 or $800 to you?

Have you put any of your opponents on hands?

gaylord focker
01-15-2003, 02:27 PM
I think you are drawing dead with all of those callers. I would have to think about folding my hand.

limon
01-15-2003, 02:38 PM
over many years of big bet i have come to know that suited cards which dont include an ace are SMALL CONNECTORS. i will raise or call a riase with small connectors but i never limp. in your situation i raise preflop and this whole disaster is overted.

J2Joe
01-15-2003, 10:22 PM
You are all right, although I didn't want to believe it at first. I made the call very fast thinking that I had the right players and that it is likely that I had 12 to 13 outs which made the pot odds right. Any h which left 6 or 7, plus any k or q. I assumed the button had a flush draw but I have seen him make that play on little flush draws so many times that I didn’t worry about it beating mine. The live 10 was such a bad player that I almost ignored him. I put him on 10s with a good kicker. As you predicted it was a disaster. The button won with 1 pair 10h 2h and the live blind showed Ah3h making my heart draw useless. Nobody improved on the turn or river. My only outs were a K or a Q. I guess my biggest mistake besides not throwing it away before the 150, was not remembering that live players play hands that can beat mine. I ignored clear evidence that I was in trouble based on who was in the pot. Thanks for your help.

J2Joe
01-15-2003, 10:39 PM
My plan was to get in cheap and possibly call a raise depeding on who raised. I should have popped it at least a little bit to try to get out anyone with a suited A in Hearts. I could have then thrown it away if someone re-raised and avoided the isssue. I had to call 440 on the river.