PDA

View Full Version : Blacks in Baseball article

Boris
06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
declining numbers of african americans in baseball (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/baseball/11898536.htm)

The link is an interesting story in the SJ Merc. News about how few blacks are playing baseball these days. My favorite team has no blacks on the active roster. Amazing when you consider the impact this particular ethnic group has had on pro sports. Only 9% of MLB players are black, compared to 13% for the general population. In 1975, 27% of MLB'ers were black an in 1995 19% were black. Any ideas on the cause of the downward trend?

brassnuts
06-15-2005, 04:29 PM
They're planning a massive hockey takeover in the next 10 years. This is the real reason behind the "strike".

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Latinos? I really have no idea, but what do the same stats look like for Hispanics (and Asians)?

davelin
06-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Lack of exposure of baseball to urban areas has been cited as a possible reason. What's your favorite team that has no African-Americans on the active roster?

Boris
06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Oakland A's. Charles Thomas was a bench player but got optioned back to AAA.

JTrout
06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
I've watched some of the college playoff games.
I've seen one black player.
Wonder how many are on the 8 teams at the World Series?

ThaSaltCracka
06-15-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas on the cause of the downward trend?

[/ QUOTE ] Several reasons. One, baseball is hot very hip hop, so it doesn't appeal as much as basketball. Two, its harder to make it to the majors, NBA and NFL are easier routs. Three, most blacks live in urban enviroments, where there isn't much money or space for baseball. Basketball is relatively cheap, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

Jack of Arcades
06-15-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Latinos? I really have no idea, but what do the same stats look like for Hispanics (and Asians)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Latinos have gone slightly up and is at an all-time high. There are plenty of blacks in baseball; it's just that so many of them come from the Dominican...

Popinjay
06-15-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas on the cause of the downward trend?

[/ QUOTE ] Several reasons. One, baseball is hot very hip hop, so it doesn't appeal as much as basketball. Two, its harder to make it to the majors, NBA and NFL are easier routs. Three, most blacks live in urban enviroments, where there isn't much money or space for baseball. Basketball is relatively cheap, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

[/ QUOTE ]

NBA and NFL easier to get to than the MLB? Seems very untrue to me.

-NBA team rosters are much smaller than MLB rosters.

-NFL players have to put massive punishment on their bodies to play at their high level.

-I know a kid who got drafted by the M's and he isn't very good.

M2d
06-15-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-I know a kid who got drafted by the M's and he isn't very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
so he'll get cut in low A after making a couple hundred a week for a few months. Getting drafted may not be that difficult (it is), but making the bigs is very tough

Amid Cent
06-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Ever since M.C. Hammer went bankrupt, it's just not as cool as it used to be.