PDA

View Full Version : Will SSAP suit me?

TheHammer24
06-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I am a 2BB/100 player on party 1/2 hold 'em. I'm down a little playing AP 1/2 Stud. For the most part I've played stud when I got bored with hold 'em, but recently the game has seriously begun to fascinate me. I want to play 1/2 Stud and I was wondering if Seven Card Stud for the Advanced Player would be a good book even though the book is for medium stakes. If so, what adjustments should I make? Does the thoery of poker by skalansky offer any general poker advice that can be applied effectively to stud? All comments are appreciated.

TS Clark
06-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Theory of Poker has good, applicable advice for all areas of poker. It's a must-read.

In fact, I think TOP is actually pretty stud-centric. When it was published, HE was not the phenomenon it is now. Most people played stud and, thus, it is the source for many of Sklansky's examples.

bholdr
06-15-2005, 05:15 PM
7CSFAP is the standard stud text, and it has a section on loose games that should make 1/2 very easy to beat if you apply it correctly. buy it. check out HLSP, too. read TOP before either, though, as a lot of the stuff in the advanced series won't cllick unless you understand TOP fairly well.

TheHammer24
06-15-2005, 11:16 PM
HLSP??? You're killing me, whats that stand for. I've read SSHE twice, I suppose the consensus is the theory of poker then SCS4AP

greenage
06-15-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Theory of Poker has good, applicable advice for all areas of poker. It's a must-read.

In fact, I think TOP is actually pretty stud-centric. When it was published, HE was not the phenomenon it is now. Most people played stud and, thus, it is the source for many of Sklansky's examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a beginning Holdem player, I glanced at TOP and rolled my eyes at all of the non-Holdem examples since I had not played any of them except for draw. Now that I have at least sampled all of the others, I have started reading it in earnest and am amazed by what I’m picking up.

Andy B
06-16-2005, 01:22 AM
High-Low Split Poker.

Get 7CS4AP.

TheShootah
06-16-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Get 7CS4AP.

[/ QUOTE ]