PDA

View Full Version : Who's looking forward to the U.S. Open? (golf)

ClaytonN
06-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Personally, I am very much looking forward to watching this every day on ESPN and NBC.

This US Open venue course is much different from past open venues (excluding '99 of course) in that there's lots of areas to chip and/or putt around the greens. You have to be a very creative short game player and putter to do well at this course.

I was fortunate enough to play this course with my dad 2 years ago. At the time, I was a 10 handicap. I made one par, on the par-3 ninth. It was easily the most fun course I have ever played.

I know some of you guys will be seeing these greens on television and noticing how crowned and bumpy they are, but you really have to be there or play the course to get a true scope on just how diabolical these greens are.

And, also important, this may be Tiger's best chance ever to win the grand slam. He did very well at Pinehurst in '99 (finishing third I believe) and St. Andrews hosts the British Open, while Baltusrol hosts the PGA. If there's ever a year he could pull it off, this would be it.

Here's to being a golf nut and watching the U.S. Open all day every day!
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eric5148
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
GOLF KICKS ASS WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!

Shajen
06-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Here's to my 7am-4pm job. Oh wait.

Here's to Tivo!

Clayton, you and your college bound ilk suck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope you never have to enter the 9-5 work force.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Drac
06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Are they tricking out the fairways again so it's almost impossible to keep a drive out of the rough? I hate it that they usually rig the courses to a ridiculous level for the US Open. Long rough, tough course is great as it should be a challenge but don't make it stupid.

BadBoyBenny
06-15-2005, 07:24 PM
this is the conventional wisdom.

The rough shouldn't be as bad this year, mostly due to the weather. The greens will make up for it though. Look for the winner to be right around par, and for some chips to run 2 feet short of the hole and roll back 20 yards to the player's feet. Also approach shots that look very good may roll all the way down to collection areas. Players will have an area to shoot at that is less than 50% of the actual green if they want to stay on it. Also there should be very few tap ins, missed putts even with good speed may be 4-6 feet from the hole. Look for the scramblers and grinders to excel.

PoBoy321
06-15-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you never have to enter the 9-5 work force.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why he's going to drop out of college and play poker for a living. It's what all the cool kids are doing, plus it's easy money.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 07:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The rough shouldn't be as bad this year, mostly due to the weather.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been hearing that the rough got really bad in the last week. People are actually having to look for their balls again it's so think, and there's going to be a lot of laying up out of it.

ClaytonN
06-15-2005, 07:40 PM
I actually work now 3 days a week, Tuesday through Thursday.

Mange EOB's and data entry at an ENT place.

Joe_d72
06-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I cant wait to see Ryan Moore I think he will get a top 20. He is gonna be the next great player on the tour.

But Tiger is gonna win.

EliteNinja
06-16-2005, 12:17 AM
I think Roger Federer is going to dominate, even if all the Americans like Andy Roddick. And a good showing from Nadal is possible.