PDA

View Full Version : Please help. This hand has bothered me for days. Where did I go wrong?

JGlo
06-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry about the format. I could not get the converter to work with PokerRoom hand history. I realize that I will probably get blasted for my play on this hand, but I am here to learn.
I had only been at this table for a couple of rotations, so did not have a read on the villian. There were about 500 people in the tourney, and we were down to about 80 left. Had close to average stack. I was 2 off the button and villian was 2 seats to my right. (Hand below doesnt note seat positions) My thinking at the time was that villian had a larger stack than mine, he raised and the guy between us called, so I didn't think it was correct to reraise with A10s. I was somewhat hoping the blinds would call so if flush draw or two pair come up, the pot would be large. When my suits came up on the flop, villian bet small and I thought a reraise would get him off the hand. It didnt and then he put me all in on turn. Had $3000 left. I knew he had me beat if flush didnt hit. Do you take the chance for the flush to hit and call, or bail out like I did and hope you can recover? Like I said, there are probably several things I screwed up, but would like some analysis.

No-limit Texas Hold'em $10+$1 (real money), hand #980,250,093
10+1 NL Holdem Multi Table Tournament, 11 Jun 2005 03:56 PM

View Previous | Next hand for this table.

Seat 1: Pennywise666 ($4,311 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero [10D,AD] ($7,457 in chips)
Seat 3: ravingmaniac ($13,365 in chips)
Seat 4: Female32 ($4,950 in chips)
Seat 5: hueyco ($3,620 in chips)
Seat 6: cant win1 ($4,690 in chips)
Seat 7: calfce ($2,917 in chips)
Seat 8: 3dueces ($7,630 in chips)
Seat 9: db5000 ($8,460 in chips)
Seat 10: Villian ($9,820 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
hueyco posts blind ($150), cant win1 posts blind ($300).

PRE-FLOP
calfce folds, 3dueces folds, db5000 folds, Villian raises to $600, Pennywise666 calls $600, Hero calls $600, ravingmaniac folds, Female32 folds, hueyco folds, cant win1 folds.

FLOP [board cards 3D,6D,QS ]
Villian bets $650, Pennywise666 folds, Hero raises $2,000, Villian reraises $3,200, Hero calls $1,850.

TURN [board cards 3D,6D,QS,9H ]
Villian bets $3,500, Hero folds.

SHOWDOWN
Villian wins $13,450.

SUMMARY
Dealer: Female32
Pot: $13,450
Pennywise666, loses $600
JGlo, loses $4,450
ravingmaniac, loses $0
Female32, loses $0
hueyco, loses $150
cant win1, loses $300
calfce, loses $0
3dueces, loses $0
db5000, loses $0
LP1989Jester, bets $7,950, collects $13,450, net $5,500

baronzeus
06-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Why would you bother calling this preflop?

You need to flop a flush or a straight to be sure of a win. Even 2 pair is behind any set or a higher 2 pair.

res1cue
06-15-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't know about you buy my first feeling about this hand is that you are beat. His preflop raise just yelled "please someone call me I have aces."
what do you think?

Rduke55
06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Well, you're getting about the right odds to call the flush draw. And maybe the A is good too. My thinking is if you're calling the reraise on the flop you should probably call this.
As it stands you left yourself with 10BB or so. So you're not completely gone but now you'll have to take some chances.

transmitt
06-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm folding pre-flop, and unless the minraise was the standard at the table, I'm folding extra fast.

Lloyd
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
First of all, you've got to let it go. I mean thinking about the hand for days. You need to be able to move on to the next hand or the next tourney. Sure, learn from the past but you can't let it bother you.

As for the hand, early in a tourney I'd probably call this raise. It could really mean a lot of things. He could have a big hand. He could have a small hand and thinks he can steal the blinds with a mini-raise. I would surely play cautiously but in a low buy-in tourney with no reads I'm not going to automatically assume he's got a monster with a mini-raise.

Now, I said I'd call with it EARLY in a tourney - when the implied odds of making your flush (really the only hand you'll feel very comfortable with) is high. Late in a tourney you've got to just pass. You're calling off 9% of your stack with a hand that is very speculative. Besides flopping a flush, about the only time you'll be able to play the hand strongly on the flop is with a pair and flush draw. Even if you flop top pair you have to tread lightly. Plus, you've got several people to act behind you. A strong player with chips might utilize what Harrington calls the "Sandwich" play and put in a raise to steal the pot if he thinks the villain could be stealing.

On the flop, there is T2250 in the pot. He bets T650 with a diamond draw and two opponents. That's a really weak bet. Even if he had QQ with top set he should probably bet a little more. Against one opponent I may try and slowplay a set, but against two a good (being a key word here) player should bet more. So I think you have two choices. One, you can just call getting about 4.5 to 1 odds which is more than enough on a nut flush draw. Or you can re-raise. But if you re-raise, you've got to push as a normal raise pretty much pot commits you if he re-raises. So you're call of his re-raise was correct but I would have much preferred to be the one pushing than calling. If it were me, I'd take the cheap card and see how the turn looks and how he plays.

kuro
06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
I fold preflop. ATs is nice multiway from late position for cheap, but it's costing you 2bb and you've got half the table still to act and not a very deep stack so a fold looks good to me.

You called though and then I think you played it fine. Villain had you beat or if it was a play then nice hand.

schwza
06-15-2005, 04:18 PM
fold pre-flop. if the flop comes T or A high, you don't know what to do.

there is 2250 in preflop, and villains bets 650. you have ~6900 left. it's a little too much to push, so i think your options are to raise to 3k or to call. i prefer a call. he's giving you a great price - might as well take it. if you want to move him off a hand like JJ/AK, you can think about doing it later.

after he reraises, i like a push. you won't be getting your money in too badly, as you're ~25% against a set. your push may fold out hands like KQ, which would be great. if you do get called by KQ/KK, you have 12 outs, meaning you're about a coin-flip to win the hand.

on the turn, it's very close, but i think i call. villain is essentially pushing for just over 1/3 of the pot, so you need to be just over 1/5 to hit. you're 9/46 to make a flush on the end, but 2 of those pair the board, meaning they're no good against a set. sometimes you'll have 3 outs for the aces, and i think KQ/KK is at least as likely as a set, so your expected number of outs is over 9. plus there will be the very rare time that villain has a hand like Kd Jd, where you're in great shape, or a lot of other miscellaneous hands like JJ, 4d 5d, etc. honestly, i think it doesn't really matter which you do b/c it's so close.

JGlo
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the insight. It is very helpful. I recognize some names and your opinions mean allot.
What threw me on the whole scenario was when he reraised me after I raised his $650 bet on the flop. I thought it was weak and I thought my raise would chase him away. When it didnt it kinda threw me into a mini tilt mode because I was clueless where to go from there. I can see the argument for calling the 650 or pushing altogether. I am at the stage to where I am doing better in the MTT's but I always seem to have a "flare up" like this that keeps me from placing high.
Thanks for all the insight. I definately helps.