PDA

View Full Version : Sports Wagering: Bad Beats

hoopsie44
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
What's the toughest sports wagering loss you have experienced? Mine was 1981 NBA playoffs, Milwaukee-Philadelphia. I'm laying 5 with the Sixers, they're up 4 with 2 sec left, Mo Cheeks at the line,(career 80% FT shooter), 3 to make 2. He clanks all three off the back iron. $330 to the bookie. I felt like crying.

DoubleDown
06-15-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't remember it exactly but it went something like this:

Last years NCAA champ. gm. UConn-Duke. i had UConn with the spread (-2pts, I think) ... Uconns got the game won its all over at the end. except for F'in Duhon who runs up to half-court and buries a 1/2-court heave to cut the lead from 4 to 1 at the end of the game and Duke end up covering by 1 point.

namknils
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Did anyone have money on the Duke v UConn game in the 2004 Final Four when Duhon banked in a half court shot at the buzzer to cover the spread? I think they were down four, he hit that at the buzzer to lose by one, the spread was 3 I think.

hoopsie44
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
I remember it well.

namknils
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember it exactly but it went something like this:

Last years NCAA champ. gm. UConn-Duke. i had UConn with the spread (-2pts, I think) ... Uconns got the game won its all over at the end. except for F'in Duhon who runs up to half-court and buries a 1/2-court heave to cut the lead from 4 to 1 at the end of the game and Duke end up covering by 1 point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], nh

offTopic
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
2001 Championship Sunday. I put $110 on the Giants/Vikings Over 41.5. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Minnesota has forever earned a spot on my shitlist for that pathetic display.

eleventy
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Couple of years ago playoffs. Mavs vs Kings. Mavs are dogs. I bet Mavs to win both halves cause I'm a longshot sucker. Mavs win first half by like 22. Niether teams cares or tries the 2nd half but the Mavs were winning by 24. Kings were dribbling out the clock and all were shaking hands, Mavs walking off the court and the Kings players makes a layup as he is walking off the court. 2nd half was a tie.

hoopsie44
06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Was at the game. I believe it was 41-0 at the half.

06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
It's been done. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2379268&page=3&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

BreakfastBurrito
06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
It was almost this year's Arizona/Illinois Elite 8 game, although Arizona managed to at least cover despite the choke.

In actuality it was a Wake Forest/Duke football game a few years ago. To this day I am suspicious of foul play. It was a typical matchup of relatively bad team vs awful team that I love in college football. So I'm laying 9 with Wake, and all is well and good as they're up 28-0 at the half. Then, Duke quickly runs off 35 points to tie the score, Wake scores to go up 42-35 and then Duke doesn't get past midfield for the remainder of the game. What the hell was that? Given that the game was obscure and untelevised, I really think there was some point shaving going on.

BWebb
06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
On another note, I have a good win story. Had a three team parlay that was going to pay me around $400. I had one the first two games and needed the Saints to beat the Panthers by something like 5. Panthers have the ball down by 3 with 10 seconds left and I'm pissed. Last play of the game, Peete gets rushed and rolls to his right and gets drilled by some Saint. Ball pops loose, LB picks it up and runs it back for the TD. It was sweet!

youtalkfunny
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Most of us don't read the Sports Betting forum, so forgive us for missing that thread.

I remember one time I had under 46½ in a playoff game between Moon's Oilers and Montana's Chiefs. Two best defenses in the conference. 10-7 after three quarters. Suddenly, the two teams started swapping 3-play, 80-yard drives, and I lost by MORE than a TD.

One day, a guy I worked with patted his shirt pocket, and said, "I got the lock of the year right here." He produced his ticket: $50 on under 11½ of a Tigers/Orioles game, at even money.

O's put up 6 in the top of the first. Tigers respond with 4 in the bottom half. My friend is miserable.

"I'll give you $5 for that ticket, right now," I offered. He passed.

O's push another run across in the top of the 2nd, to make it 7-4.

"Bobby, what will you give me for this ticket now?", he pleaded.

"I wouldn't give you two cents for that ticket."

Of course, no more runs were scored.

Worst beat I ever saw (but didn't have) was Robin Ventura's extra-inning grand slam against the Braves. His teammates mobbed him after he touched first base, and only one run scored on a grandslam, screwing both the runline and the total.

McGahee
06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I remember that game well, 1993. Buddy Ryan coached the Oilers defense and they had won like 11 in a row. Of course, the Bills were the easy pick the following week in the AFC title game after everybody jumped on the Chiefs bandwagon.

Another game involving KC - in GB 2 years ago still bothers me. I figured KC was due for a loss going to Lambeau at 6-0 or something and the Pack were only giving up a point vs. the spread, and were up 17 in the 4th Qtr. They can't blow that game if they tried, right? Umm, Favre int, Green fumble, the team who normally gets every call at home gets no calls, and Mike Sherman - well, he was Mike Sherman.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't remember what all was involved, but I had some crazy parlay going during this year's March Madness. I had all underdogs except UNC. All the underdogs didn't just beat the spread, they won. Then UNC blew a free throw or something and pushed on something like a 2-point spread and blew it for me. What a crock.