PDA

View Full Version : My first tourny (any advice?)

Packerfan
06-15-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm getting ready to play my first live tourny.Other than a weekly home game I started to get invited toabout 6mos back (which i've become pretty good at)not much by the way of live or internet experiance(no money to deposit and play money people could care less about good poker than going all in and out drawing everyone) but i've been reading and rereading ToP,hold'em ,and advanced holdem along with dealing out hundreds of hands to see probabilities. So any advice for my first time in the jungle?

mlagoo
06-15-2005, 02:13 PM
raise or fold

dont play marginal hands from early position (just WILL yourself to lay down that AJo when you're first to act).

get lucky

Chops
06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Until you get comfortable, just stick with the top ten hands (but play those aggressively). Once you get settled, mix it up and make sure you make a play for blinds as the levels increase.

Packerfan
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks so what your saying is keep it simple stupid

utmt40
06-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah man keep it simple and most importantly have fun. My second live tourney that I played in I made it to the final table and took home just under a grand for coming in 4th place. Good luck.

mlagoo
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
poker would be a boring game if i only played 10 hands

just go and have fun. dont expect to win -- instead, expect yourself to make the right decision every opportunity you have. if you've got 99 on the button and someone who has been pushing his chips around all day makes yet another raise, put his ass all in -- put him to the test. be aggressive.

try to put your opponents on hands... dont just focus on what the board has done for your hand.. instead, think about how your opponent has bet and acted, and force yourself to put him on a hand, and play accordingly.

really the most important thing is play aggressive. for new players, you arent going to have the type of experience most of the players at the table have. you can counteract this by constantly keeping them on their toes, by putting them to their decisions.

ugh, i dunno. theres no way to teach tournament poker in a thread. just enjoy yourself, and when you get the chance, download party poker and start playing some play money tables. good luck.