PDA

View Full Version : Near Death Experience

Crveballin
06-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Well today I was cutting the grass out front of my house and the lawnmower started making a rattling noise. I didnt think much of it and kept going.

As I was turning it around near some flower beds I heard a clunk and saw the blade of the lawnmower fly by my head while something hit me between the eyes. In reaction I touch my face expecting blood but to my relief I think it was just a rock.

This may not be a near death experience but it is as close as I have come (besides car accidents).

Anyone else have a "near death experience"?

Edit - I am going to go change my boxers now....

Shajen
06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Yikes man.

There was a thread a while back about these type things..I'll see if I can dig it up...

2planka
06-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Where did the blade end up? Did it slice through the base of the mower?

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I was driving down the PA turn pike going back to college about 6 months after my mom died. I fell asleep driving about 80 MPH and for some reason my cars dome light clicked on and made a kinda loud noise i ended up waking up just in time to stop from driving into the median.

Shajen
06-15-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes man.

There was a thread a while back about these type things..I'll see if I can dig it up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, only found one about injuries.

I apparently suck at life.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ceyoung
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
going back to collage about

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a good school...

stankybank
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't think you would have died. Maybe injured, perhaps pretty seriously, but not death.

Near death would be like getting shot 9 times. Like him. (http://www.50cent.com/)

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you would have died. Maybe injured, perhaps pretty seriously, but not death. Near death would be like getting shot 9 times. Like him. (http://www.50cent.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop hatin. This def give Crveballin street cred.

superleeds
06-15-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This may not be a near death experience but it is as close as I have come (besides car accidents)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a comedic use of parentheses

Blarg
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I came so close to crashing into this lunatic who was blasting through a stop sign that I actually felt my spinctre click open. It was terror on a biological level; I was actually surprised and thought you'd have to be more psychologically conscious of your fear, like be a gibbering crying puddle or something, for that to happen. I was plenty scared, but actually I was more completely furious, at least consciously. I really felt like committing a crime on that woman. We barely missed crashing, and my car wasn't flooded with feces. That's the only time I've ever had that happen.

I've come very near some very serious crashes numerous times. One that was very scary was when there was this guy in a van leering out at people and deliberately swerving into them on the freeway when everyone was going at about 65 or so. I mean he missed a bunch of people by inches and sent people skidding all over. He would do it a few times to one car, then move on and do it to the next one. The guy was full on crazy. He had a bunch of people screaming at him. He did it to me once and for some reason decided to pick on other people. I rocketed my car way, way ahead, making all kinds of crazy cuts between lanes myself, because I didn't want to be anywhere near him when he crashed. I was completely amazed that as far as I know, everyone was able to get out of his way. I'm still convinced he wasn't really just a flat-out weirdo or lunatic thrill seeker, but was actually trying to die, and didn't have the guts to pull the trigger.

Crveballin
06-15-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where did the blade end up? Did it slice through the base of the mower?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem was when I turn the mower around to go back and do the next stretch of grass, I tend to exaggerate lifting the front tires of the mower during the reverse in direction. When that happens the spinning blades are open away from me, but since I was turning on the patio (in between me and the bushes) and I think it hit one of the hard tiles and came back toward my direction.

If I didnt have the mower on the back two wheels it probably would have just bounced around inside the housing and dropped to the ground underneath it.

gorie
06-15-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes man.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2317384&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

Arnfinn Madsen
06-15-2005, 11:38 PM
I hit some kind of container in 90 mph with my car but miraculesly the back of the car hit an edge at the same time so it lifted the car so it flew over the container. In the air upside down I concluded that I will not survive this. It was some sort of strange acceptance of fact and thus near-death experience. Both me and my passenger escaped unhurt though.

A more sudden near-death experience I had when I slid on the ice, actually. Both feet up in the air in front of me, I landed on the upper part of my back, then the force pushed my head swiftly backwards. Remember that I thought that I should try to keep my head above the ground, but had no chance in heaven. When the head hit the ice, it was like complete stop, the end of everything, like all sensors stopped to work. Did not expect to wake up then. When I woke up the brain felt empty, completely weird feeling. Took me about half a year to recover fully, so I think I was lucky to survive that one.

In neither of the experiences it felt uncomfortable though.

Crveballin
06-16-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did not expect to wake up then. When I woke up the brain felt empty, completely weird feeling. Took me about half a year to recover fully, so I think I was lucky to survive that one.

In neither of the experiences it felt uncomfortable though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you wake up instantly or were you in a coma for a little bit? I felt somewhat uncomfortable but that was only because I was wondering what I would do if it got me in the throat since no one is around in the neighborhood around 12 pm

blaze666
06-16-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you would have died. Maybe injured, perhaps pretty seriously, but not death.

Near death would be like getting shot 9 times. Like him. (http://www.50cent.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

woulda been at least blinded, or had some form of mental impairment though.

krazyace5
06-16-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'd be dead as a doornail, lucky the rock didn't f him up.

___SK___
06-16-2005, 03:32 AM
try coming home to three masked men, three guns. two of which were uzis. taking a beating and then having to move your car cause you blocked them in.

EliteNinja
06-16-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes man.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2317384&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG, Gorie!
I just read your post! Your long long post...

That's some crazy shiznit! How do you feel NOW?
Do you feel changed by this experience?
Do you feel like you have a new lease on life?

oreogod
06-16-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasnt he only shot in the hands, or limbs something like that? Not trying to knock credit off the dudes street visa.

Guess it dont matter, he was still shot. More than I can say for myself. Ive never been shot.

Crveballin
06-16-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'd be dead as a doornail, lucky the rock didn't f him up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only way I would have been dead though is if the blade caught me in the throat or head. If that happened, I wouldnt have been able to talk which of course would be a problem when calling paromedics. The damn blade was flying pretty damn fast. I didnt even react until after it had landed and the rock already hit my between the eyes.

Slacker13
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
A few actually but one of the closest was when I was 15 and me and my buddy Kerry took my dads car to go to a party. It had just snowed and was real icy. We went to cross a highway when I got stuck on ice and just sat there spinning the tires with a semi barrelling straight at us. The semi was laying on the horn, my friend is dmn near in my lap with his arms up like he is protecting himself from this large semi truck and he was also screaming. Suddenly we hit a patch of dry cement and literally took off seconds before impact.

Crveballin
06-16-2005, 10:54 AM
One of you had to crap yourself just a little.

gorie
06-16-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OMFG, Gorie!
I just read your post! Your long long post...

That's some crazy shiznit! How do you feel NOW?
Do you feel changed by this experience?
Do you feel like you have a new lease on life?

[/ QUOTE ]
it still freaks me out a lot and can make me cry if i think about it enough. the easiest thing for me to do is just pass it off as a "bad trip" - though i think it was something more than that. i just know what it felt like that is enough to scare the crap out of me anytime i think enough about it.

it hasn't really changed me in any way noticable. i am more appreciative of life but it's not like i'm out doing things to experience it differently than i did before. i only know how to be what i am.
i was pretty traumatized awhile after it happened and questioning everything about life/death etc. the memories are still there now pretty clear, i don't think i can ever forget. but the terror associated with it has lessened as time passes. i just prefer not to think about it. i'm the same boring person.

wacki
06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
This isn't the closest, but it's probably the most interesting for you guys. I had a random drunk cracked out meth head that I never met before in my life put a gun in my face. He was trying to shoot the guy behind me but my friend luis and I refused to move.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-16-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Did you wake up instantly or were you in a coma for a little bit? I felt somewhat uncomfortable but that was only because I was wondering what I would do if it got me in the throat since no one is around in the neighborhood around 12 pm

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not have been away for more than max 5 seconds since a person who saw it had not arrived when I woke up. He had experience from head injuries though, so he gave me a lot of good advice. He said that the most important is to avoid sleeping for the next 24 hours, if you feel sleepy make somebody keep you awake (he said that you risk not waking up if you fall asleep too early since an internal bleeding may start without you noticing). He also said that you have to avoid television, music, speaking in the phone etc, for the first week; if not it may haunt you in the future.

webgator
06-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Two recent ones come to mind...

The first I was staring death in the face as I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer and the odds were not in my favor. However, miracles happen and here I am almost 7 years later now cancer free.

The second was a year and a half ago as I was heading home from work in the am and I crested a hill at 60 mph in my Nissan Sentra. Saw the semi in front of me but it didn't click that he wasn't moving till it was too late. Hit him full speed and thought that was the end. Was out momentarily but came to, fumbled for my glasses and stepped out of the car, much to the shock of bystanders who thought for certain there was no way I was coming out of it uninjured.

raisethatmofo
06-17-2005, 06:47 AM

raisethatmofo
06-17-2005, 07:19 AM

modaddy
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
I've had 3.

- Almost drowned in a river on a Boy Scout trip. Friend pulled me out of the water or I was a goner.

- Driving on the interstate, I got passed on the left by an 18 wheeler. He lost me in his blind spot and decided that it was safe to come back over. I saw him coming, swerved to the right, but hit a guardrail, bounced back into him, spun off of his back wheels, flipped 25 feet in the air and hit a tree. Nothing broken, just cuts and bruises. Totalled my first car, though.

- Climbed up to the top of a waterfall on Koh Samui island in Thailand to take some pictures. While climbing back down, I lost my footing on the wet slope (I was wearing sports sandals, dumbass that I am), and next thing I know, I'm sliding down at full speed. The slope ended at a small chasm, I launched across the chasm and slammed into a rock on the other side. The camera around my neck was smashed ; had it not been there, I woulda taken the full brunt of the impact.

tworooks
06-17-2005, 11:39 PM
last week i choked on a pop tart. thats as close as i've gotten

Crveballin
06-18-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img296.echo.cx/img296/4492/neardeath2ww.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spit beer on my monitor when I saw this..... [censored] Hilarious

Vince Young
06-18-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just spit beer on my monitor when I saw this.....

[/ QUOTE ]
No you didn't.

tworooks
06-18-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No you didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure its just a metaphoric phrase with the perpendicular force of the universe for saying that he thought it was funny

Crveballin
06-18-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just spit beer on my monitor when I saw this.....

[/ QUOTE ]
No you didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok fine, it was on my keyboard and its Yuengling. Thanks Nit.