PDA

View Full Version : Pot Odds in MTTs?

benneh
06-15-2005, 12:42 PM
The use of pot odds in tournaments just doesn't seem relevant because of the high amount of short-term luck, while the whole theory (as i understand it at least) of pot odds is that in the long-run, you will gain on ever single correct call you make, and you will lose on every incorrect call you make.

in a tourney, the increasing blinds and short amount of time doesnt seem like using pot odds would have much benefit to you. is there another method specifically for tournaments or should I just stick with pot odds?

ZBTHorton
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Pot odds are always useful, sometimes more useful than others.

This is a really vague question. Maybe if you could post an example, hand history, or something of the sort, it would make it easier for us to help you.

SpeakEasy
06-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Calculating pot odds for each and every decision in each and every hand is critical, and is the groundwork for your action, adjusted by your read of the opponent(s) (he's strong, he's weak, I can bluff successfully here, etc.). Its not only important, you should be doing this as a matter of routine each time you act to be a successful tournament player -- you should always understand the price you are paying with your bet. Winning tournaments is all about betting, and pot odds are the foundation of your betting.

If you don't calculate the pot odds for each decision, you will inevitably make critical mistakes both ways (fold when you're getting an excellent price, and overpaying when you should fold).

I'm not advocating that you always have to make your decision based on the math. "Feel" is an important part of the game, and frequently overrides the math of your decision when you detect strength or weakness, and your senses are reliable.

woodguy
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Pot odds are only useful if there is a pot being contested.

Regards,
Woodguy

Blindcurve
06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
This may be an odd way to look at your question, but here goes:

I used to have trouble with being weak tight, or tight passive in my MTT play which left me at the mercy of the cards in terms of the types of opportunities I could take advantage of. Unless I got strong starting hands I'd end up getting short and having to make less than optimal plays. Plus, once I got in a hand, I got pushed around unless I flopped the nuts or close to. This passivity stemmed from fear: of a variety of things, but mostly fear of losing and/or looking stupid.

The nice thing about really integrating pot odds and implied odds (and other equity considerations, poker math in general)into my game, is that often the math dictates what I have to do, or at least narrows the number of my decisions. Which makes me more confident. Which makes me less fearful. And which ultimately frees up my brain to make better reads, instead of feeling like I'm getting worked over, or bluffed all the time.

You probably don't have those problems, but in addition to all the other reasons, that's why I use pot odds.

As always, flame on, in the name of freedom...

-D.