PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open - who to pick?

nolanfan34
06-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, the U.S. Open is this week, of course. I'm in a fantasy golf league through Yahoo, and I'm having a hard time choosing two golfers for my "A" group. So, if you had to choose two of the following, which ones do you go with this week?

Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Vijay Singh
Adam Scott
Sergio Garcia
Jim Furyk
Ernie Els
Luke Donald
Retief Goosen
Stewart Cink
Padraig Harrington
Davis Love III

Right now I'm leaning toward Mickelson and Tiger. Tough to go against Tiger, and he had a pretty good tournament last time it was at Pinehurst. And of course everyone remembers Phil having success there.

Easy choice for my two this week?

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a fantasy golf league through Yahoo

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea these existed. Interesting.

trevorwc
06-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Phil and Tiger are the obvious picks. The only problem is, 95% of people in that fantasy challenge will probably pick them as well. You might be better off going with some "long shot", as if they actually win, you have a much better chance to win the thing. I like Adam Scott and Luke Donald in that category.

All that said, I like Tiger to win it this week.

wuwei
06-15-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy choice for my two this week?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. Phil is destined to win here and Tiger will be waiting in the wings if Lefty decides to 3-putt from 4 feet again.

Ser William
06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm in a fantasy Golf League as well where everyone picks the winners up front, for the year, for every golf tournament (no duplication of picks). 57 out of the 140 people picked Mickelson for this week, myself included. He is a lock I think, especially considering he took off the week of the Memorial to practice at Pinehurst.

I think you have to go with Tiger as well, although Goosen has done so well at the Open. But for me, any time I could take Tiger in a tournament for a fantasy league, I'd take him.

chaas4747
06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
I might go with a European player at Pinehurst. Just a hunch, maybe Darren Clarke, or Padrig Harrington.

Ser William
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Darren Clarke would have been a great sleeper pick but don't take him. His wife is in the hospital and he has withdrawn from the Open.

belloc
06-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Golf is often a game of running hot. I'd be tempted to pick one player who's playing well and one player who's always got a chance to win. Something like:

Adam Scott & Phil Mickelson, or

Sergio Garcia & Tiger Woods.

Scott & Sergio will both finish high, I'll tell you that. Not sure if either one has the nerves to hang on to win, though.

chaas4747
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Did not know that thanks.

namknils
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Sergio played pretty well this past weekend. I would take Sergio along with one of Tiger/Phil/Vijay. I'll say Sergio and Tiger if you need me to give a complete answer.

nolanfan34
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
One clarification on how this works, if it affects anyone's analysis.

This league runs for 40 weeks total. Each week, the teams pick two golfers from group A, four from group B, and two from group C. Then each day you can "start" one A, two B's, and one C. You get points based on how well your golfers do relative to the lowest round of the day. There are bonus points for finishing 1-3 in the tournament.

Anyway, the key to winning the league is consistently scoring points week in and week out. So winning this week specifically would be great, but making sure I am within shouting distance of the two teams above me in the standings is even more important.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Tiger, unless you're getting odds.

I was amazed to see Retief open at 12-1.

HDPM
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Long hitters are at a distinct advantage this week. Phil was quoted about this. The benefit of flogging it out there and having a wedge from the rough rather than 6 iron will be huge. But it won't be a regular tour event. You will see players have to manage their games better and be creative around the greens. Wait, creative around the greens? Could that mean Tiger and Phil will be there at the end? Yeah. We'll see how the USGA does letting the greens die this year. Sunday could be great or an all time disaster. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RacersEdge
06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I'd be tempted to put some $ on Adam Scott. I hate to see a non-American win it though.

M2d
06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Tiger and Furyk

belloc
06-15-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Long hitters are at a distinct advantage this week. Phil was quoted about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all the guys in the A list this week are in the top 20 in driving distance (http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2005/101) this year.

HDPM
06-15-2005, 12:26 PM
save your money. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Maybe you are right, but I don't expect Scott to be ther at the end.

DangerGoodson
06-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Retief Goosen and Tiger. Do you see why? Retief is rock soild and Tiger is well Tiger.