PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel vision with AA

McNeese72
06-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Okay, another post from the relatively newbie.

I find that when I get pocket aces dealt to me, I tend to get too excited. I get too focused on my own hand and lose track of what other people might have and who my opponents are. Here is an example

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls $0.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: 19.20 BB

Don't have a read on the villain in the BB as I only played 7 hands with him. I guess I should be supicious when he check raised me on the turn. Should have I gone into a call down mode after that or just stayed aggressive?

Hellmouth
06-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Call the check raise on the turn. The river is your call if unimproved. (weak river play: check call; Agressive river play, bet out and either call or fold if raised).

Greg

davelin
06-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Why so damn aggressive on the river?

sholvar
06-15-2005, 11:56 AM
nothin more to say.
I think calldown from turn is okay. that is too aggressive. AA is the best preflop Hand but does not win everytime.

BruinEric
06-15-2005, 12:10 PM
At the turn check-raise with NO reads and at these levels, I either put him on a "slowplayed" 55, x5suited, Q or a J that hit. At these levels, there is a small but real chance that you have a nutball here who will put you on AK and try to push you out of the pot heads-up with garbage.

So, I would call the ck/raise and check-call the river to see what he has. You beat only the lone J above but I pay the bet because I will tilt if I fold to his nutball garbage. Plus, if you are a better/raiser and start folding to a ck/raise, people will start hammering you with zero. (Yes, I'm justifying call-downs here, but this is AA and seeing AA to showdown isn't a huge mistake.)

DeathDonkey
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Dude. AA is just one pair.

-DeathDonkey

topspin
06-15-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not reading carefully enough! We improved to TWO pair on the river!!!

( /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

davelin
06-15-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not reading carefully enough! We improved to TWO pair on the river!!!

( /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually we had two pair on the flop, we improved to THREE pair on the river /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KeysrSoze
06-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Normally I'd put him on a slowplayed AQ or he made top 2 pair on the turn (maybe even donking it up with AJ) more times than a 5, JJ or QQ and might raise too, but when he goes batshit crazy and caps the turn, and especially after seeing that river card, I'm just calling the river here. How can you fold THREE pair here though /images/graemlins/smile.gif ?

topspin
06-15-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually we had two pair on the flop, we improved to THREE pair on the river /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche!

McNeese72
06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I think I played this one, that happened a little while ago, better. I figured he flopped a flush when he raised me on the flop. But the pot was big enough to give me odds to see if I could get the fourth diamond on the turn and the river. When the blank came up on the river, I just had to throw in one more big bet to make sure.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (6.70 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Jaran
06-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm 3betting the flop here. No way I'm giving him credit for the flopped flush so soon. Even if he does have the flush, unless he has exactly 89 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif you have 7+ (for runner-runner fh) outs.

-Jaran

topspin
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 3betting the flop here. No way I'm giving him credit for the flopped flush so soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Villain could easily have top pair or a draw rather than a flush or two pair. (Your nut flush redraw means you have many outs even if you are behind.) If it gets capped behind you then you can worry about slowing down.

DocMartin
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Call down unhappily after the turn check/raise. Your play on the river is some serious wishful thinking/spewing.

aK13
06-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Hand 1: call down after the check/raise. if he is bluff-raising, we don't want him to fold.

Hand 2: you should be 3betting that flop, ESPECIALLY with the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif . Don't be afraid of the flush -- your hand is likely still to be best (he would probably play something like AJo similarly).

Joel_Fish
06-15-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm curious... in Hand 2, if villain just calls your 3-bet, will you bet out on the turn? And if he raises the turn, do you call and c/c the river?

nh5150
06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
glad you posted this actually. ive been thinking about this too. been at the tables with completely bad players and every time i get AA or KK finding it hard to lay them down even when you are sure you are beat. just makes it even worse when they show their winning hand.the bad players get hands too. would not have raised that river. would have called though...

TomBrooks
06-16-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should have I gone into a call down mode after that or just stayed aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. No.

Malachii
06-16-2005, 05:28 AM
Hey man, I'm too lazy to read all these posts, but a basic observation that I've had is that anytime you're checkraised/raised at low limits, it usually means that the raiser has improved to two pair or better. Not saying you don't want to call down here (especially since it's online), just that you don't want to keep firing away.

BlackRain
06-16-2005, 06:35 AM
With a big PP, I think you can lose a lot of money in either NL or limit by overplaying it. I think you overplayed it here. Just call down if you face a bunch of aggression and a board pairs like that. When you know you are way ahead, such as a flopped set, then ultra aggressive mode is the way to go.