PDA

View Full Version : Best mosh pit u have ever been in

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I would have to say this pit was insane i saw the Extreme Steel Tour - Pantera, Slayer i was never so sore the next morning. Its just ashame that this could never happen again atleast i was able to see history.

RIP Dimebag

pokerstudAA
06-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Helmet. No question. Other notable mosh pits include: Tool, Rage against the Machine, Cyprus Hill (more jumping than moshing), Rollins, Primus, and Soundgarden. I got passed on top of the crowd for an entire song during Soundgarden (Spoonman now gives me chills). That was really freakin cool. I was a crazy youth. Wow.

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Helmet/Sick Of It All - 1995 Roseland.

Second place, Korn/Vision of Disorder - The Roxy Long Island.

That being said mosh pits suck since I've been 21+

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Rage Against the machine at Roseland or KMFDM at the limelight.. both were insane....

honorable mention goes to the lollapalooza tour with AIC, and Primus ... at that concert some girl asked me to give her a boost so she could crowd surf and just as she went up in the air the crowd cleared behind her because people were moshing and she went straight up in the air and landed on her head... good times... I haven't laughed at someones general stupidity since /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lucas9000
06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
i guarantee none of those compare to the pits at mid-90s hardcore shows. earth crisis, snapcase, etc. i remember especially a one king down and brothers keeper show in albany in about 97 that was retardedly crazy. every time i've been to a metal show or anything like that, i laugh at those pits compared to the ones from hardcore shows.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I do have to agree that most mosh pits due suck now ive been goin to shows for about 7 years now and they r no where near as much fun anymore. I have heard stories from my cuz whos 30 about how shows use to be in philly back in the early 90s when they allowed stage diving and how the whole place would just go nuts. Man i wish i could go back in time.

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Misfits, Ramones, and Sepultura way back in the day was mental as well.

These days it can get stupid as the kids do all this [censored] windmill crap, went to see avenged sevenfold and couldnt beleive the ignorance of people.

lucas9000
06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rage Against the machine at Roseland

[/ QUOTE ]

was that the run where they did like 6 nights there? if so, i was at one of them too. there were definitely some bloody people leaving the pit at that show.

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i guarantee none of those compare to the pits at mid-90s hardcore shows. earth crisis, snapcase, etc. i remember especially a one king down and brothers keeper show in albany in about 97 that was retardedly crazy. every time i've been to a metal show or anything like that, i laugh at those pits compared to the ones from hardcore shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to a few Slapshot etc gigs in the early 90's and the mosh pits were always a bit mad, but always stayed back, always seemed to be a fight breaking out at some point, half the time was the straight edgers that were the worst as well.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm not really a "moshpit" kinda guy, but Boy Hits Car was nuts. Please please please please come somewhere in the south again.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Misfits, Ramones, and Sepultura way back in the day was mental as well.

These days it can get stupid as the kids do all this [censored] windmill crap, went to see avenged sevenfold and couldnt beleive the ignorance of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When ever i goto a death metal show there is a few kids that try that crap i always knock them flat on there ass. Since most of them r trying to hit u in the face. Its always great to watch them fags get beat down by old metal fans

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first hellfest in 97 at Hungry Charlies, with all of those albany/syracuse bands was ridiculously dangerous. I have a hard time calling those mosh pits though. I prefer "Hardcore Dancing".

Man--I'm totally listening to nothing but Victory albums this week thanks to this post. Forgot you were into hardcore too.

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do have to agree that most mosh pits due suck now ive been goin to shows for about 7 years now and they r no where near as much fun anymore. I have heard stories from my cuz whos 30 about how shows use to be in philly back in the early 90s when they allowed stage diving and how the whole place would just go nuts. Man i wish i could go back in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trouble with stagediving was the idiots that didnt keep their feet up I remember one thrash gig someone dived in front of me we all caught him and I ended up getting kicked twice in the head by what seemed like size 20 doctor martins.

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I had no idea people still did this.

ripdog
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
The Primus mosh pit was pretty lame in Seattle. Everybody jumping up and down, so you have to do it too or get repeatedly stomped upon. I bounced my way out of that one. When Jane's Addiction came on I went into the pit and someone fell down, causing a domino effect. The girl in front of me was pinned between my legs and I was pushing back against the crowd with everything I had. She was screaming and I could understand why--I could feel the insane amount of pressure that had her pinned to the floor. If I had fallen, she would have beeen crushed to death and I might have been too. One of the girls that I went to the show with never entered another pit again. Later on in JA's show I was slamming around near the stage and kept bouncing off the same person. We finally stopped and looked at each other and the other guy was this musclebound freak. I pointed up and he cupped his hands and lauched me way above the crowd. The music stopped as I apexed and everyone below me relaxed. I came down on the back of two guys, right on the back of their heads. Having experienced the same thing, I knew that once they got past the excrutiating pain, they would be wanting to inflict some pain on me, so I ran like a pussy and disappeared into the crowd. It was a lot of fun and I have never been in another pit since

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:38 AM
The most mental gig I went to was by this folk rock type band called the levellers the whole place was going mad circles of dancing, people building pyramids, unfortunatley I was on the balcony so couldnt join in.

Sporky
[ QUOTE ]
Man--I'm totally listening to nothing but Victory albums this week thanks to this post. Forgot you were into hardcore too.

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i've heard of it, the new darkest hour should be good. won't be out until the end of the month though.

steelcmg
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trouble with stagediving was the idiots that didnt keep their feet up I remember one thrash gig someone dived in front of me we all caught him and I ended up getting kicked twice in the head by what seemed like size 20 doctor martins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i hate getting kicked in the head i hate when people crowd surf from the back also. I remember i was a this one show and some 12yr old kid kicked me in the head and started laughing. I grabbed him and tossed him into the middle of a pit. Lets just say that little bitch wasnt laughing anymore.

klagett
06-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Moshpits are pretty stupid now, just a bunch of morons that want to throw punches. That's not what it's about.

lucas9000
06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

throw in some trustkill as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rage Against the machine at Roseland

[/ QUOTE ]

was that the run where they did like 6 nights there? if so, i was at one of them too. there were definitely some bloody people leaving the pit at that show.

[/ QUOTE ]

The show I went to was right after they finished he lollapalooza tour so it was thier 1st really big solo tour... I made the mistake of going into the pit wearing glasses b/c i didn't have time to go home after work and put my contacts in.. I came out holding one piece of one of the arms of the glasses... AMAZING show (what i saw of it anyqays /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

turnipmonster
06-15-2005, 11:43 AM
from way back in the day, the best ones for me were slapshot amd fugazi.

--turnipmonster

swolfe
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard stories from my cuz whos 30 about how shows use to be in philly back in the early 90s when they allowed stage diving and how the whole place would just go nuts. Man i wish i could go back in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, i was about to write that the best mosh pit for me was the trocadero in philly where i saw sponge and ned's atomic dustbin. stage diving is friggin awesome.

girls shouldn't crowd surf. unless they enjoy being thouroughly groped by hundreds of strangers.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even some relapse.

I listen to live365 all day at work what a great station ive heard so many new abands and im always adding to my huge collection of music

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard stories from my cuz whos 30 about how shows use to be in philly back in the early 90s when they allowed stage diving and how the whole place would just go nuts. Man i wish i could go back in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny, i was about to write that the best mosh pit for me was the trocadero in philly where i saw sponge and ned's atomic dustbin. stage diving is friggin awesome.

girls shouldn't crowd surf. unless they enjoy being thouroughly groped by hundreds of strangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the troc its clearly the best place ive ever seen a show. Do u still attend shows there?

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 11:46 AM
The funniest thing I have ever seen happen in a mosh pit was when I went to see Hyperactive at the shore and they s,llwed it down for one song and this couple got up and started dancing to the bob marley song they were playing ... then they went right into RHCP "Give it away now".. the crowd went nuts and the couple ended up getting banged around pretty good before they got off the floor

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Harvest - Living with a God Complex

Playing it right now.

Pocket Trips
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ned's atomic dustbin kkicked ass!!!! they were one of my favorite bands from that time when alternative was just going mainstream...

mmbt0ne
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

When Offspring was playing Big Day Out here in 97 Dexter told every girl in the crowd to grab the next guys nuts who went overhead.

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The funniest thing I have ever seen happen in a mosh pit was when...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some idiot at Manhattan (a club) on Okinawa decided to get offended when a Recon Marine bumped into him in the pit. He pushed the guy and immediately disappeared underneath about half the guy's unit. He came back up like 20 seconds later with his face covered in blood. They beat him all the way up the stairs and out the door. I was up on some kind of little platform and it was kinda surreal to watch. It almost seemed like the whole thing took place to the beat of the music.

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 11:53 AM
The worst I have ever been in was Ministry with Helmut and sepultura opening at the theater at MSG.. imagine trying to mosh between aisles in a broadway theater.. not exactly conducive to it.

Matty
06-15-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When Offspring was playing Big Day Out here in 97 Dexter told every girl in the crowd to grab the next guys nuts who went overhead.

[/ QUOTE ]What a coincidence. I got my dick bit during an Offspring moshpit.

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they make it in the States (sure they were a UK band) going to have to dig out their albums and rekill my television.

They were part of sort of a indie rock movement over here neds plus stuff like the Wonderstuff and Carter Ultimate Sex Machine. Some of the early Carter USM stuff is worth looking for download.

Ned's atomic dustbin kkicked ass!!!! they were one of my favorite bands from that time when alternative was just going mainstream...

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i always assumed it was a given that is what they wanted? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst I have ever been in was Ministry with Helmut and sepultura opening at the theater at MSG.. imagine trying to mosh between aisles in a broadway theater.. not exactly conducive to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket, how old are you? are you in NY? Remember q104.3? Remember when Ministry was just about to go totally mainstream? (About the same time as Helmet too) Back in 1995/6 Alternative Metal was like on the cusp of being widely accepted.

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Neds have recently reformed and are doing osme touring in the UK later in the year, knew that tickled a memory.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i always assumed it was a given that is what they wanted? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say i have felt some very nice T n A from those girls. I may have even touched some snatch in my day.

LOL im such a perv.

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Neds have recently reformed and are doing osme touring in the UK later in the year, knew that tickled a memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG that is awesome news.. thank you! hope they come to the states /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I stated yesterday in the worst covers thread they never really recovered from having to do a bay city rollers song for the "So I married an Axe Murderer" soundtrack

daveymck
06-15-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG that is awesome news.. thank you! hope they come to the states /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I stated yesterday in the worst covers thread they never really recovered from having to do a bay city rollers song for the "So I married an Axe Murderer" soundtrack

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reading their forum, looks like they did some gigs last decemebr as well, but reading some of the posts if this years gigs go well there could be bigger plans next year.

If like that era UK music then Pop Will Eat Itself is another blast form the past that came to mind.

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket, how old are you? are you in NY? Remember q104.3? Remember when Ministry was just about to go totally mainstream? (About the same time as Helmet too) Back in 1995/6 Alternative Metal was like on the cusp of being widely accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 35 in north Jersey.. grew up 15 minutes from NYC.. yes I remember those days... I actually grew up listening to WDRE 92.7 which was a long Island station that played alternative music long before it was cool to do so.

Pocket Trips
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If like that era UK music then Pop Will Eat Itself is another blast form the past that came to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember litening to them too ... wow this thread is really bringing back some great memories for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif.. but it is also making me feel old

Clarkmeister
06-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Pearl Jam, Soldier Field 1995. I body surfed all the way to the front row.

James Boston
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Rage Against The Machine
Knoxville, TN
Lollapalooza '96

I moved five feet in a matter of seconds without moving my legs. People stated throwing the paper plates pizza was served on into the air, that then progressed to full water bottles and the like. It was actually king of scary.

lucas9000
06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Playing it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

DEDICATION TO DISCIPLINE!

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Playing it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

DEDICATION TO DISCIPLINE!

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.

Best. Opening album track. Ever.
It was actually the message on my first cell phone.

AND TOLERANCE OF SELF!

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I must have missed out on alot Rage is one of the only bands that i wish i could see that i didnt see. Every time they would come around some stupid [censored] kept me from goin. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

swolfe
06-15-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love the troc its clearly the best place ive ever seen a show. Do u still attend shows there?

[/ QUOTE ]

i moved to dallas after college, so i haven't been there since this show, but it was definitely the best concert i've been to. $18 for 4 acts: fig dish, letters to cleo, ned's, and sponge.

i think one of the times i stage dove, my fingers went into some dude's mouth. oops!

haha, oh, and when fig dish started up, the crowd wasn't too into it, but there was a huge fat guy who climbed on stage and jumped into the crowd. everyone just moved out of the way...

tacoshooter
06-15-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pearl Jam, Soldier Field 1995. I body surfed all the way to the front row.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at this show too; one of the best concerts I've been to. The Dead were there the night before (PJ was using their stage) so the crowd was pretty colorful to say the least.

My buddy and I fought our way up front. Lots of action up there -- we had to take a couple of people out for getting out of control, actually. At the end, Eddie smashed his guitar and threw it out in the crowd. My buddy caught the neck of the guitar but some really big dude punched him in the face, grabbed it, and jumped over the security barrier.

Oh yeah, I also pissed on the 50 yard line of Soldier Field on the way out. I think of that every time I watch a Bears game and it still ranks as the coolest place I've ever pissed.

usmfan
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Best oldschool mosh: Dead Kennedys at the Circle A in Dallas circa 1986.

Honorable Mention: Bad Brains at Tipitina's ~ 1990.

Newer: Jane's Addiction at Municipal (?) in New Orleans ~1991.

Also, the mudpit at Lollapalooza II with Pearl Jam was pretty intense.

Joe826
06-15-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i've heard of it, the new darkest hour should be good. won't be out until the end of the month though.

[/ QUOTE ]

the new darkest hour is unbelievably good, IMO. same with the new heaven shall burn. i pre-ordered both, but then also pre-downloaded. i couldn't wait.

Sponger15SB
06-15-2005, 09:00 PM
The Dogwood concert at 8th grade christian camp had the most insane mosh pit i've ever seen.

thatpfunk
06-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Pennywise at Soma Live in 97 (?).

Only a couple hundred people fit in the club and when Bro Hymn came on, the entire hall was a big pit.

gorie
06-15-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Only a couple hundred people fit in the club and when Bro Hymn came on, the entire hall was a big pit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate mosh pits.
but i had a similiar experience at a descendents show here in a small club. way too many people were crammed into that place. once the band started the whole place kinda turned into a mosh pit and you couldn't control where you were going, or whose body parts where jamming where with a huge rush to the front of the stage. it sucked.
i usually stood in front for shows with people respecting my space. but as soon as this show started all i was thinking "must...get...to...back" and just waited for people to push me where i wanted to go. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MarkL444
06-15-2005, 10:16 PM
david lee roth.

thatpfunk
06-15-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

i hate mosh pits.
but i had a similiar experience at a descendents show here in a small club. way too many people were crammed into that place. once the band started the whole place kinda turned into a mosh pit and you couldn't control where you were going, or whose body parts where jamming where with a huge rush to the front of the stage. it sucked.
i usually stood in front for shows with people respecting my space. but as soon as this show started all i was thinking "must...get...to...back" and just waited for people to push me where i wanted to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was fun, but I was also a little 7th grade skater-punk.

J_V
06-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Rage, Korn.

blatz
06-15-2005, 11:15 PM
GWAR, halloween, 1993ish at some club in Baltimore. I went as the crazy dude from the cover of Black Sabbath's Paranoid album. Lost a shoe. Couldn't get out. Almost got out...tossed back in...over and over. Somebody dressed as Glen Danzig finally mashed my foot so bad, I wanted to cry.

steelcmg
06-16-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
GWAR, halloween, 1993ish at some club in Baltimore. I went as the crazy dude from the cover of Black Sabbath's Paranoid album. Lost a shoe. Couldn't get out. Almost got out...tossed back in...over and over. Somebody dressed as Glen Danzig finally mashed my foot so bad, I wanted to cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw gwar at Pennstates the crowbar its just this small ass bar holds about 300 people max awesome show.
Gwar is by far the best show u could see its so funny and just amazing. When they bring that giant penis out and start jerking it off and spraying the crowd with the red water thats just nuts. They also make so much fun of all the assholes in the world have them get there heads cut off and beat down with huge foam axes. I suggest anyone who hasnt seen gwar live do so.