PDA

View Full Version : An Audio Guide for Emo

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 10:50 AM
I've tried to explain this before, but this is pretty much the standard for how EMO evolved into what most of you think it is now.

It was emotional hardcore.

Read this if you think you can classify some of the bullshit you hear out there as emo.

web page (http://www.mesaverde.co.uk/mp3/)

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 10:59 AM
I just have a hard time calling any of this lame-o bullshit hard core.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
EMO sucks listen to some real hardcore like hatebreed or sinai beach or converge.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 11:03 AM
First 2 responses = classic

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EMO sucks listen to some real hardcore like hatebreed or sinai beach or converge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of hardcore what's that? The early stages of emo, from back in the day, does not suck.

<font color="white"> BTW
I'm a 27 yr old hardcore veteran. I played shows with Hatebreed and Converge. You missed the point entirely. </font>

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just have a hard time calling any of this lame-o bullshit hard core.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out Hassan A Sabbah.

Also, coheed is playing for free in Central Park this summer. Cool [censored] right?

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of hardcore what's that? The early stages of emo, from back in the day, does not suck.

<font color="white"> BTW
I'm a 27 yr old hardcore veteran. I played shows with Hatebreed and Converge. You missed the point entirely. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not i havent heard much from back in the day but all the new stuff is horrible. But thats just my taste im sure 90% of the posters on my site think my music is horrible.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, coheed is playing for free in Central Park this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Central Park does me no good. Let's talk Red Rocks. Meh... maybe Red Rocks isn't the right venue for them. I'm sure there's something in Denver, though.

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> BTW

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not i havent heard much from back in the day but all the new stuff is horrible. But thats just my taste im sure 90% of the posters on my site think my music is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point, the post was to show you that the new stuff you think is emo is not. If you read the white text, give me some credit here.

Also there's a huge contingent of hardcore/metal guys here, off the top of my head, myself, mmbtone, kjs, daveymk, joe286. etc.

Though I'm into mostly everything now. my roots will always be in hardcore.

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Central Park does me no good. Let's talk Red Rocks. Meh... maybe Red Rocks isn't the right venue for them. I'm sure there's something in Denver, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm imming with a girlfriend of mine. In 1996, Claudio (lead singer) and Montana (friend of the band-guest vocalist on some sogns) sang wild horses on her front lawn. I'll try and arrange something like that for you.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> BTW

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point, the post was to show you that the new stuff you think is emo is not. If you read the white text, give me some credit here.

Also there's a huge contingent of hardcore/metal guys here, off the top of my head, myself, mmbtone, kjs, daveymk, joe286. etc.

Though I'm into mostly everything now. my roots will always be in hardcore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry totaly looked over the white text.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm imming with a girlfriend of mine. In 1996, Claudio (lead singer) and Montana (friend of the band-guest vocalist on some sogns) sang wild horses on her front lawn. I'll try and arrange something like that for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be sweet. My neighbors on both sides are retirees, so they'll probably be home to enjoy the show too.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Free ATL concerts:

July 9th Cake Stereophonics The Caesars
July 16th Weezer The Bravery The Dead 60's
July 23rd TBD
July 30th Ben Folds
August 6th Chevelle Seether Crossfade
August 13th Garbage

Not quite Coheed, but eh, not bad either. I'm stoked for Cake and Weezer and Ben Folds and maybe Garbage.

Also, Patrick, interesting to see you talking about hardcore. Wasn't Saosin and the first Coheed cd too loud for you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Patrick, interesting to see you talking about hardcore. Wasn't Saosin and the first Coheed cd too loud for you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said anything about the first Coheed Album. In fact, I like it a lot and listen to it quite a bit. Also, I don't believe I said anything about Saosin being too loud, just that I didn't like it.

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
My bad. I mis-remembered a post from an older thread. You just didn't like old Coheed as much as new. Certainly a big difference. Not liking the first cd would be pretty bad.

Older thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1624707&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1)

daveymck
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Never heard of any of the bands on that site, but hardcore never got that big over here, used to get the bigger bands Sick of it all, slapshot madball etc and a saw a few really small shows by Nofx (about 20 people there), when there was a guy in a band called Vorhees was doing a lot of promotion in my town.

My feeling is that metal and hardcore converged for a point in the early 90's where the musical styles were very similar and I feel its like that a bit again which I think is reflected in who some of the bands like hatebreed are touring with.

And this thread has made me remeber somthing always wanted to find the hard core stuff done by the lead singer of Mindfunk, think the band was Uniform Choice, anyone got any links to a decent site that might have info on the band as yahoo just comes up with hard core schoolgirl stuff.

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 11:55 AM
I feel so old. I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My bad. I mis-remembered a post from an older thread. You just didn't like old Coheed as much as new. Certainly a big difference. Not liking the first cd would be pretty bad.

Older thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1624707&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I still maintain that I never said anything derrogatory about the first Coheed. In fact, I made zero mention of it at all in that thread. I guess it was implied that I didn't like it when I didn't (or forgot to) recommend it. I recommended the second one in the group of newer albums. Anyway, on Saosin, it's not uncommon for me to not like even good bands based on the first listen, but I'll always give at least a second and third listen and if it's something I'm going to like, I'll be able to tell. It actually usually ends up that the albums that take longer to warm up to are the ones that I end up liking the most. I guess I like a lot of stuff that has a little something hidden or subtle that takes a few listens to really hear right.

As for another band you guys were giving me crap about not liking, I still have yet to really warm up to Arcade Fire. At this point, I probably won't, but I will say the album does have potential.

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you are older, and also not exactly a counter culture dude.

perhaps a hotgirls thread to cheer you up?

jakethebake
06-15-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you are older, and also not exactly a counter culture dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm counter-counter culture because counter-culture has become so popular. Therefore being counter-culture is actually counter-counter. Or something like that...

edit: actually i think people should be able to look as stupid as they want. and pretty much be as big of an attention whore as they want. isn't that what they're doing?

daveymck
06-15-2005, 12:04 PM
What band were you in Indie?

mmbt0ne
06-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Try listening to the new Saosin singer. You might like him more than the old one, who started Circa Survive.

http://www.f2f2s.com/Music/Saosin-BuryYourHead.mp3

Voltron87
06-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Pretty much 100% of these emo/screamo/ whatever bands are awful. wtf is wrong with these people?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-15-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try listening to the new Saosin singer. You might like him more than the old one, who started Circa Survive.

http://www.f2f2s.com/Music/Saosin-BuryYourHead.mp3

[/ QUOTE ]
This song is a little better than the average song on the EP that I have. It sounds more polished, though, which I won't argue for or against.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much 100% of these emo/screamo/ whatever bands are awful. wtf is wrong with these people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im guessing u like P Diddy?

SomethingClever
06-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Hmm. I've never heard of any of this early "emo" stuff.

I've only heard the term in reference to bands like Weezer.

I think the word has probably been so co-opted that you should probably just give it up.

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What band were you in Indie?

[/ QUOTE ]

local long island hc band with the guys I grew up with, that anyone outside of the tri-state area wouldn't know. , i left to go to college and the rest of them got a new singer and formed skycamefalling (which I think most people know)

Joe826
06-15-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

local long island hc band with the guys I grew up with, that anyone outside of the tri-state area wouldn't know. , i left to go to college and the rest of them got a new singer and formed skycamefalling (which I think most people know)

[/ QUOTE ]

i love skycamefalling. you could have been famous!! heheh.

steelcmg
06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes skycamefalling was an awesome band to bad they didnt last like so many HC bands and alot of other metal music.

Rob Blackburn
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Hearts That Hate is the best new EMO band.

End of story.

Klepton
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
lets just agree that every time i die is the best band ever and everyone shut up

IndieMatty
06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I know. that dude had a much better scream. totally different band, our band sucked. they were really good and started a nice little niche for themselve.

Track three off there first album is actually a carryover song. I demand royalties!